Thinking about a PM9 to replace my 442...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the great posts. I had about given up on the PM9 due to its cost until one of the mail order distributors got back to me and his price was better than I expected. I ended up paying $554.40 out the door including the $10 FFL fee at OPS for it which was much easier to stomach than the $683 at sports world including tax. As usual it is always a pleasure to head down to OPS and visit with Eric for a bit.

My first impression of the pistol is that it is very good quality. I gave it a wipe down with some oil and headed to the range to see how it would do. I put 50 rounds through it and it had zero problems of any kind. Recoil was much lighter than I expected and accuracy was much higher than I expected.

I still love my 442, but this is my one gripe about the 442. Even after I have smoothed its trigger and made it considerably better than it came from the factory, it is just so much harder to point and shoot accurately. The PM9 was in comparison so much easier to hit with quickly and accurately. I still love my 442 and it will not get sold because it is a no lock version and because on the trips where I have to travel through states like IL it is very easy to unload and make my 442 safe and then load and rearm once I get inside Indiana. No slam fire concerns, no why is that guy having to put some much force into something in his trunk that he is messing with, etc. The 442 shines for something like this.

My only gripe was that the stipling was a little aggressive for my liking. I stopped into a bike shop on Mingo yesterday and they gave me a dead tire tube. Smoothed out the grip right nice:

[Broken External Image]

Yes, no sights. I bought the P500 universal tool from Midway to change the sights and it did get the factory ones off as you can see. I am waiting for the Trijicon's to come in from Kahr. I was hoping the P500 tool would become my sight changer so I could sell my Glock model, but I don't see how it could handle the sloped sights so I'll probably return it.

So far so good. I love the PM9. I need to find a good pocket holster for it and see how it carries once I get some reliability experience.

Thanks,

Alan

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a Glock36 in 45 ACP for a while but could not conceal reliably at all times. I went to the SW 642 in a pocket holster but finally ended up with a Kahr PM-9. Mine has been totally reliable and surprisingly accurate. I use a Mikva or Mika?? leather pocket holster. The DeSantis pocket holter` also works well.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about one of these but after renting one and trying it, I decided it was too small for me.
So, I will tell anybody interested there is one on gunbroker that the auction ends 7/28/10 and the current bid is $290
Which will probably go up considerably since most stores get about $650 new and close to $600 used.
But you never know when you might get lucky.
I think I'm going to go with the cw9 as it fits my hand better.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I would offer that it depends on your hand size. I have medium to small hands and the PM9 is fine for me. If you have medium to large hands, a P9 (or CW9) might be a better fit although they will be less "pocketable".

Good luck,

Alan

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have the KT PF-9. I have shot the PM9, but it's been a long time. I think it would make an interesting comparo to shoot them side by side.

I'm curious as to shooting feel (perceived recoil), accuracy, and reliability.

Latest posts

Top Bottom