Thinking about quitting the dept.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springfieldxd23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a volunteer firefighter (Equipment Operator). I've been in the fire service for about 13 years and I love it so much but for about the last 2 years I've been put in the position of an officer (managing a shift and all the other duties that follow) and with no promotion. I have asked several times why I've haven't been promoted and I get the answer "I'm trying to set new standards and you are the lucky one for me to start with. You need to get your firefighter 2, Fire Officer, and so on" but I don't feel it's the truth. Every time I get close to what he wants he adds more to it. I feel the chief doesn't feel confident enough to promote me yet I have the same duties as the other officers. Now when we have our monthly meetings the paid guys gripe and complain about how they are getting screwed and how they aren't treated right. Then we have other volunteers that gripe and complain about others and it has nothing to do with them. I know this is the same everywhere you go but It's get old and I need to vent. I'm thinking about quitting cause it not worth the stress of being on call every third day, training every Tuesday night, and dealing with everyone elses crap. It's just not fun anymore. That's the whole reason I joined 13 years ago.:soapbox:

Last edited:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Listen you have volunteered enough for a life time if its not fun then move on to something more enjoyable. Life is too short to not do what you enjoy. 13 years of serving the state of oklahoma is good enough in my book. And i appreciate all you done for us.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. Unfortunately, if you don't trust your leadership, then its hard to enjoy what you're doing. It doesn't matter if you're a volunteer, paid very well for what you do or even if you absolutely love you what you do...it comes down to trust in the people making the decisions. Its been said 100 times...most of the time people don't leave a job they leave a supervisor or leader. Have you been honest with your superior? Have you told him about your concerns? If not, why not? It sounds like you don't have too much to loose. You're already ready to leave, so why not lay everything out in the open? As far as the new guys complaining, you're the veteran and those guys probably look up to you. Take the high road and lead by example and be positive. The worst thing for the department is for a veteran to be a cancer and spread the negativity. If you are truely burnt out and can't be positive about the leadership of the department, then you need to take a break, not only for your own sake but for the sake of the department. Only you know what needs to happen and I really do understand your need to vent, just make sure you do whats good for yourself and the department.

With 13 years of your volunteer service, you've done 1000% more than what the average citizen has done. Your work is greatly appreciated and you need to do what's right for you. If you really enjoy the work but can not trust your leaders, then its an integrity thing with the department and you may be better looking at a different department. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck and thanks again for your service.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quit. Why be miserable? Why let someone else impact your self image. Frankly, they should be happy to have someone who volunteered for 13 years. Their loss.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are seven years from full retirement, it will go fast. Get the chief for something in writing for you to go by on what schools. Complete them and say fill you promise. There are lots of depts that need experienced hands on roll. Think hard before quoting, it was the lives saved and safety of community most join. I'm working on 21 years and there has been times I thought I was done but still here

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are seven years from full retirement, it will go fast. Get the chief for something in writing for you to go by on what schools. Complete them and say fill you promise. There are lots of depts that need experienced hands on roll. Think hard before quoting, it was the lives saved and safety of community most join. I'm working on 21 years and there has been times I thought I was done but still here

Thats very very important

Latest posts

Top Bottom