Thinking about quitting the dept.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You just need to do what makes you happy. I just quit the place I have been for 5 years and took a job for less money, but I am doing what I want. If you think it will work out to be better, then try, but only you know when it is time to draw a line in the dirt. I felt like a ton of bricks was off of my back when I gave my two weeks at the old job. It is very important to enjoy what you do. imo

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sit down with him...man to man. You are a volunteer, he's not your 'boss'. This isn't a job that's providing your primary income so you are in the driver's seat.

Tell him what you want/need in exchange for your service and be prepared to walk away if he's not able, or man enough, to work with you.

springfieldxd23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are seven years from full retirement, it will go fast. Get the chief for something in writing for you to go by on what schools. Complete them and say fill you promise. There are lots of depts that need experienced hands on roll. Think hard before quoting, it was the lives saved and safety of community most join. I'm working on 21 years and there has been times I thought I was done but still here

The only problem is I only have 7 or 8 years in the pension. The dept I was on before never put me in the pension.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sit down with him...man to man. You are a volunteer, he's not your 'boss'. This isn't a job that's providing your primary income so you are in the driver's seat.
Tell him what you want/need in exchange for your service and be prepared to walk away if he's not able, or man enough, to work with you.

This^^^^^^

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only problem is I only have 7 or 8 years in the pension. The dept I was on before never put me in the pension.

I certainly don't have any answers for you but I do have some questions for you to consider:

1. Is it possible that you are just flat worn out from all the work you have been doing lately (and thank you very much for your service to our communities) and therefore maybe a bit touchier than usual? I'm not saying the guy isn't mistreating you, I'm just asking if because you are overworked right now it is just harder for you to deal with.

2. I know it's only 7 or 8 years but you are 1/3 of the way through 20 years. Like Powerman, GC has been at the end of his rope more times than I can count in the 12 years I have known him. I cannot tell you what a change hitting his 20 year mark made. I can tell you this ... It made all those years of putting up with scheduling changes, cancelled vacations, lazy, worthless supervisors, etc. worth it. Now he is, as he says, one bad day away from retirement and he will tell you most of why he feels so good is because he outlasted a lot of ***holes that made him miserable along the way. You have worked hard for the 8 years you have in ... why give that up because you're super is a toad?

3. What would happen if you stuck it out until your next anniversary date? I don't know when that is, obviously, but it would give you some more time to consider your options (not that you haven't already done that) but what have you lost in those few extra months and what will you have gained? The pros might outweigh the cons to waiting a little longer.

There is a timeline of the phases that a LEO goes through in their 20 years on the job. While meant to be funny, there is a lot of truth in it. I bet there is something similar somewhere for volunteer firefighters. My guess is if you find some old-timers in the department you trust and visit with them you will find that every one of them went through something similar to what you are feeling right now. Maybe not the exact same situation, but the same frustrations.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. And again, thank you for the years you have served us. There are many people out there, that if they knew how you were feeling right now, would be sorry it has come to this and be grateful for the years you have given them -- and would be glad to tell you that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom