Thumlers Tumblers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember correctly from some of your previous posts, you were using an ultrasonic cleaner and / or vibrating media for case cleaning. Are you planning to use the tumbler with brass pins? If so, I would be curious to know how this method compares to the ultrasonic method.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am still using the ultrasonic cleaner and have no plans to give it up, and may buy the bigger model at a later date. I was using the vibrating media for final polishing but I am thinking of using stainless steel media for that, if it goes a better job without leaving residue. I may also look into treated corn cob and ceramic media. By going to this tumbler it opens up more options.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I don't have a Thumler's, I do use a rotary tumbler with stainless steel media and a solution of dish washing detergent and lemishine. This combination produces some very shiny and clean brass with clean primer pockets as well. The first time they might not come completely clean with they have not been cleaned before. They will clean up real nice though. I think you will be pleased with the results unless you mess up the cleaning solution as that is the only thing I have seen cause problems.

If you want alot of reading, Sniper's Hide has a huge thread on stainless steel media in their reloading section. Have some homemade drying solutions as well.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi RickN,

So what is your ultrasonic cleaning method? I tried doing some ultrasonic cleaning for awhile, but it just seemed like too many steps to justify. If you don't mind sharing your method that would be great!!

Thanks,

Alan

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi RickN,

So what is your ultrasonic cleaning method? I tried doing some ultrasonic cleaning for awhile, but it just seemed like too many steps to justify. If you don't mind sharing your method that would be great!!

Thanks,

Alan

I use the Hornady One Shot solution mixed at 1 tablespoon to 3-1/2 cups of hot water. I only clean fairly small batches at a time (150) 9mm, (100) 40 or 45s, etc. With the 40s and 45s I like to stand them nose down which is a little bit of a pain but worth it because the inside of the case and primer pocket usually get very clean. For really discolored brass the smaller the batch the better. You can clean bigger batches of cleaner brass but this works for me.

I deprime the brass, rinse to get the loose dirt off of the brass. I run each batch for (3) 8 minute cycles then let it cool down for 5 minutes. Then I run them again for another 3 cycles. After the last cycle it is straight into a small bucket of very hot water. A couple of rinses under hot water and let them dry. I use old plastic ammo box dividers as drying racks. The American Eagle white plastic dividers are the best for this.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a tumblin' monster Rick, you won't be dissapointed.

So far pretty happy with it. I am still using some old Tuffnut I had on hand but it seems to be doing a good job. I am going to try treated corncob next then may move up to the stainless.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to say that whatever Rick is doing his final prodcut is the nicest, cleanest brass I've seen short of brand new. It's a joy to reload with the last batch of .40 brass that I got from him!

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to say that whatever Rick is doing his final prodcut is the nicest, cleanest brass I've seen short of brand new. It's a joy to reload with the last batch of .40 brass that I got from him!

Thank you. Not all of it comes out like I would like, which is why I am always looking for something better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom