Time Change

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh...

...let's just go back a hundred years and live by the day being from "can see to can't see" as far as "daylight time" is concerned. Being retired now means I mainly need a watch/clock to make it to an appointment of some kind, such as medical or before a store closes.

"Can see to can't see" works for photographers as well as farmers and ranchers. (Some of the newer cameras don't even have a built in flash, but are still good in low light situations.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how expensive changing the rules for DST will be. Every computer and GPS will need a software update. It was a pain back in 2007, it'll be much worse this time. Even with lots of advance warning some systems won't get fixed. My 2015 Subaru was thrown off an hour by the GPS epoch rollover a few years ago and Subaru didn't fix it. Back in 2007, one vendor said they would only fix the time zone feature if we upgraded all our disk drives so they were big enough to support the latest OS. We were planning on dumping them the next year any way so out they went.
With GPS so pervasive I hope devices are more flexible than the nav system in my Subaru.
Nav systems in vehicles suck. Typically require upgrades and are unreliable.
As much as I hate Google, their nav system is pretty good.
IMHO, software to change the option to go to daylight savings time and not switch is pretty simple. Some states don't have DST so its already been written into software to accept it or not in most cases.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nav systems in vehicles suck. Typically require upgrades and are unreliable.
As much as I hate Google, their nav system is pretty good.
IMHO, software to change the option to go to daylight savings time and not switch is pretty simple. Some states don't have DST so its already been written into software to accept it or not in most cases.

I've no experience with the Google navigation system, but their Google Maps on the computer sucks at times. While out in Utah and Arizona on vacation in November, I was looking for the location of the Painted Desert. Their map showed it to be quite a ways away from its actual location. In reality, the Painted Desert is in the same area as the Petrified Forest, with the PD north of I-40 and the PF south of I-40. Both are in the Petrified Forest National Park.

The marker on the map at the link below is where Maps shows the PD to be, but one can see the Petrified Forest National Park south of there. We wasted time going to the marker, enough so that we didn't get to see all of the Petrified Forest.

Google Maps of Painted Desert and Petrified Forest

Latest posts

Top Bottom