Time to compete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzkrieg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So here I am again winding down another august day, speakin of august days, it was so hot the other day, I saw a squirell pickin up acorns...and he was wearing potholders!! So, regardless, as my body is tired and my mind starts wondering.

I've been shooting now for about 27 years. Some of it in the civilian world, most of it in the military. I love it. Very few things in my life bring me as much joy as picking up a firearm and putting rounds down range.

I shoot anytime I can, and any how I can. Weither it's knockin down torso targets at 300 meters with a M4, or shooting spinners in my backyard with my buckmark, or glock's, or one of my fav's an old BSA .22 target.

However, I shoot and I shoot. And I'd rather be shootin under horrible conditions or not shootin in the best conditions. It's fun, but like anything, to include my marriage, something gotta be done to put the spark back in it.

Sometimes I buy a new gun. New guns always put the spark back in shooting, and being a FFL holder, this is easier for me than some. Sometimes I change my targets. Sometimes I shoot with a buddy, well, you all get the idea.

Something to "keep the spark in it" that I have been pondering lately is maybe trying to compete somhow. Now, I'm first one to admit, I'm no marksman. I have managed to qualify with just about every personally fired weapon in the military, but that alone doesn't make a man a great shot, and like I said, "great" shot for me would be an exaturation.

So in other words, I'm not very good. I own quite a few firearms, but next to that old BSA target .22 rifle, nothing I own would be considered a "competition" gun by any means.

If I got into a competition of any sorts, I think I would enjoy either a handgun or a three gun (pistol, rifle, shotgun; if there is such a contest) over any benchrest, or clay bird shooting. Ironically some of my worst shots have been pulled off with a handgun. But what can I say, I just really enjoy shooting them.

So, here's the dealio, I would consider shooting a handgun competition but have maybe 3 guns that would be possible candidates for this. A taurus pt 24/7 in .40, glock model 20, gen I, 10mm, extended, ported barrel, or a glock model 38 in 45 GAP, or if a rimfire shilouhette match was offered, a browning buckmark (I know there's a lot of ruger guys out there who say "no way" to my buckmark, but it was cheaper and I'm tellin ya, stock gun against stock gun, same barrel length, the browning will Hold it's own).

Now, everything I've read about every handgun contest with the exception of cowboy shoots, I don't think the said weapons above would necessarily be ideal. If I were to buy a good all around competition gun, without spending a lot of cash, what do y'all suggest. It doesn't even have to be a gun strictly for competition, can be stock, just more ideal than what I've got. I was considering a 9mm longslide glock, or a 1911 in 9mm or .38 super. I don't even know what kinds of competitions are offered in the area or if anyone would let a beginner like myself come shoot. I was considering the 9mm as rounds are cheap, and the guns are easy to control, the .38 super, I don't know anything about other than rounds aren't very readily available and are pretty pricy, just what I need with my 10mm, 45 GAP, and 6.8 Spc right?

Wheel guns. I'm not totally against them. In fact I find something facinating about them and will say that for what ever reason, when I've fired revolvers, weither single or double action, I've seemed to have shot more accuratley than what I can shoot my autos. So, best barrel length and caliber for a competitive wheel gun? I was thinking a 4" and something in .357 so I'd have the option for .38 special? I'm assuming most guys competing with wheel guns shoot .38's.

I really don't know. Like I said something cheap, but no junk allowed. Wheel gun or auto? Caliber? Barrel length? Heck I don't even know what kind of competition would be good to start with. Can I use a holo or red dot? Guess it depends on the contest. Any advise would be much appriciated. Oh yeah, as far as the buckmark, anyone know of any steel shilohette matches that I coutld shoot with it. I seen one once about 20 years ago up at Ponca city at the VFW. Since then, I know the range had been closed.
I need to get my spark back ladies and gents...please help!!

No.343

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to okcgunclub.org and check out their calendar. I believe that they are having an IHMSA match this Saturday. Google IHMSA for more info about their matches. There are also plenty of practical pistol matches in the state of Oklahoma. As far as guns are concerned for practical pistol matches I wouldn't buy anything right now. Look at the post with the shooting schedule ( www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78098 ) and attend a match. Sure you can just go watch, but instead bring your favorite service size pistol, 200 rounds, all your magazines, a sturdy belt, holster and something to carry the mags. Tell the match director that it is your first time shooting and they will take good care of you. If you want to see revolvers in action there is an ICORE match at the OKC Gun Club this Saturday.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're in luck. We have all kinds of matches to pick from in this area. Between OKC and Tulsa there is something to shoot every weekend.

If you are looking at USPSA and 3gun and you prefer Glocks you'd be hard pressed to beat a G34 or a G17 for your handgun. My M&P 9 is what I shoot the most because of cost. If you get into it you are going to want to load your own ammo, so plan on that too a little later.

Like said before hit the Walmart for ammo, grab your gear and come to a match. Everyone will help you along. The people involved are the best part of the sport. Everybody helps you get going. Come on out and you'll be hooked like the rest of us.

BTW, I'm not any good either but I can't think of much else I'd rather do...

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take your buckmark to a steel challenge match. I guarantee you'll have fun. Don't even need a holster or any special mag pouches, shoes, or even one of those fancy jerseys with logos on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom