Timothy Harper arrested..... finally! Idiot.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still concerned about the 'apparent' ambiguity about carrying in a place where alcohol is consumed vs primary purpose is alcohol consumption... didn't the new law include the wording about consumption? If he got arrested for carrying in a place like Chili's where they SERVE it, but he wasn't consuming himself or in a bar specifically, I'd be real concerned. Even though I think the guy is a tool of the highest order...

That topic was covered in another thread. (Can't remember the title of the thread.)

However, if it was NOT a place whose primary business was alcohol, then they might not have a case unless he WAS consuming. If he WAS consuming, losing his rights would depend on whether that statute can be filed and disposed as a felony. If I remember right, it is primarily a misdemeanor, but I'd have to check again.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it didn't change, it's pretty cut and dried... if their revenue is 51% from alcohol, that's their primary business. Of course you couldn't know that without looking at their books, and if it's that close it could be a bar one day and a restaurant the next. They probably just go by the obvious appearance.

My feeling is in this case, if there is so much as a technical violation, they'll throw the book at him.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think what I read (on here, obviously not official, from a lawyer, from the gubmint, from our overlords, or whathaveyou) is the prevailing opinion is if you have a permit, you can carry where alcohol is consumed, but not in a bar, the place where that is the primary purpose of the business, but that this doesn't apply to people exercising their 'constitutional carry' right without a permit.

But obviously, I wouldn't want to base my freedom and right to own firearms on that opinion... thus my concern about ambiguity.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still concerned about the 'apparent' ambiguity about carrying in a place where alcohol is consumed vs primary purpose is alcohol consumption... didn't the new law include the wording about consumption? If he got arrested for carrying in a place like Chili's where they SERVE it, but he wasn't consuming himself or in a bar specifically, I'd be real concerned. Even though I think the guy is a tool of the highest order...

There really isn’t any ambiguity. 1272.1 is pretty clear.

Without a permit, the carrying of any weapon (rifle, shotgun, pistol) is prohibited in any place that serves alcohol for consumption. With a permit, carrying a pistol is allowed in places that aren’t strictly bars.

With or without a permit, carrying a rifle into a place like Twin Peaks is a violation of the law.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There really isn’t any ambiguity. 1272.1 is pretty clear.

Without a permit, the carrying of any weapon (rifle, shotgun, pistol) is prohibited in any place that serves alcohol for consumption. With a permit, carrying a pistol is allowed in places that aren’t strictly bars.

With or without a permit, carrying a rifle into a place like Twin Peaks is a violation of the law.
This is what I was waiting to hear. I was confused about the law myself.

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far they haven't released where he was at when arrested. The story was a bit ambiguous about that. And yes, I checked, the law still allows us to go into restaurants that serve alcohol as long as its not their primary business, you just can not be in the bar area if they have one and you can not consume alcohol.
I could have sworn one of the articles I read said Twin Peaks. I'll see if I can find that again.

Eta: it looks like the arrest and carrying into Twin Peaks were not the same incident.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, I think it is unnecessarily complicated. I don't think the intention was for there to be a difference, unless it was specifically meant to be a 'gotcha!' moment for some folks. I could be wrong, they could have definitely intended it to be a different level of rights for permitted and non-permitted folks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom