To all you purest who say smoking with propane is illegal. . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a3putt.files.wordpress.com_2010_07_hank_hill.jpg

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say suckers. Man I'm glad I have a propane smoker in the arsenal.

I can understand doing burgers, hotdogs, maybe even chicken but if I want something smoked, I still prefer using actual wood. Just comes down to personal preference.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I have a big charcoal smoker with side fire box and it's great. Takes all day but its great. But I'm not so much a purist that I wouldn't adopt another method. The last couple years I've been debating either a propane or electric smoker for smaller, quicker batches. Still will do big batches on the big smoker. My question: Which is better/cheaper to operate/more hassle free, propane or electric smokers?

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I have a big charcoal smoker with side fire box and it's great. Takes all day but its great. But I'm not so much a purist that I wouldn't adopt another method. The last couple years I've been debating either a propane or electric smoker for smaller, quicker batches. Still will do big batches on the big smoker. My question: Which is better/cheaper to operate/more hassle free, propane or electric smokers?

I've thought about getting a propane smoker also, but for the opposite reason. I thought that the long times involved in doing pork butts and brisket would be made easier. At the end of a 15ish hour smoke it can be hard to maintain the heat and keep an even temp throughout. Keep in mind I'm using a Weber Bullet and charcoal, so I have to keep adding charcoal at the end too. I've thought using the charcoal for shorter smokes like Ribs, chicken, summer sausage and bacon explosions would be easier because one load of charcoal easily does it and shorter times fiddling with heat control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom