To Build or Buy a Computer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need opinions on whether to build or buy a new computer. I looked at a few youtube DYI videos and it looks simple enough.

My budget is sub $500 so what would be the most bang for your buck option? Is it worth the hassle to build? Any input is appreciated.

I had this computer in mind from bestbuy and hopefully get a deal from forum member sixseven on it click here

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO...there is no longer the same economic benefit to building like there was several years ago. You should e able to purchase a very good PC for less than $500. I have purchased two this year. A laptop and a desktop. Both were less than $500.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a bunch of them for a number of years - from 8088 to P4. The most recent three we own are two Dell desktops and one HP Laptop, because they've become such commodity items that I simply couldn't build one as cheaply as I could buy them. While I actually *could* still build one "better" that would "last longer" the fact is that just like any that are purchased it would be obsolete as soon as I turned it on.

So, unless there's something very specific that you want or need that isn't available in an off-the-shelf system, buy instead of build. Unless of course you just want to build for the fun of it - in that case, go for it!

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's use is going to be primarily non-intensive. Surfing, YouTube, occasional video downloading and I MIGHT buy the new simcity.

Buying Seems like the best option I guess. Any opinion on the system I chose and if it's a good value?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I build because I do not end up with all the crapware that comes installed on factory PCs, I can build to meet my needs, and I can install the OS I want.

EDIT: As for the PC you linked, not bad. I always had good luck with HPs back when I was buying them and that has plenty of storage and memory.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy.

I was in sales & service for several years at a local shop here in OKC.
PCs are like toasters nowadays. Unless you have specific hardware/software needs then your best bet would probably be getting a boxed model.

Latest posts

Top Bottom