Tablet for surfing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought an IPad mini. I got tired of using my phone. I have an HP laptop and an IPad Pro, but they’re a pain in the ass to carry around. So far I’m really liking the mini because I can hold it in one hand and still have enough viewing space to read.

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last Kindle Fire I bought bricked itself after a year and a half, was "too old" to be covered under warranty, and they offered me a $15 trade-in against the newest Kindle Fire, that was over $200, IIRC. While I can read all my kindle books on it, it's a problem to read all the other books I own in the MOBI & EPUB formats. The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5, with apps that I paid for years ago, will read all of them, including the free Kindle App for Android. IIRC, they also have a free app for Apple, but I don't do Apple products anymore. The Kindle fire tablets do have a decent screen, but the OS is crippled. It won't run a lot of the apps available on the Google Play Store, which the Samsung will, and the Kindle App store doesn't have all that many apps. And support for them is pretty much non-existent.

This is the one I bought, I paid $266 for it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N3ZC8FL?th=1 Plus another @130 or so for a case, screen protectors, and the 1tb memory card. I can and have watched movies on it, and I read a lot of books and stuff on it.

Oh, just so you know, the Kindle Fire won't take a 1tb memory card. Not even a 256gb card.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
iPad mini, I have one, an older one, can only download a few apps from the app store. Also have a Samsung Galaxy Tablet, again older, it is going through the same obsolescence cycle as the iPad, but not quite as bad. I tend to like Android and Samsung, this is due to the fact most can accept a Micro SD card and are upgradeable. Samsung Tends to have better cameras and even Flash picture capable. I would definitely avoid refurbished, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab and it had one section of the screen that was "bluer" than the rest. It was noticeable on pictures that were white in the area of the offending pixels. It was a refurb. Another benefit is people do work on different versions of Android so you may extend the service life if you are cheap, but life is short so I stopped using the tablet. Amazon Kindle Fire Tablets appear to be a good option, but jeff bezos already gets to much of my money to use against me. Also, if memory serves me you may not have access to Google Play. You've fired up my Interest in Tablets after reading through the posts. May be buying a Galaxy Tab 9. I recommend staying away from cheap android tablets for several reasons:

1) Poor Quality
2) Only Basic Features, Don't get drawn in by hardware hype
3) No integration with the Google App store so you are missing out on many, many apps you may want.
4) Very few upgrades. Most of the upgrades you get are not for more features, they are to make sure your Tablet is secure from hacking. Probably the best reason for spending extra money
5) Short service life, you'll buy it and stop using it, lack of apps and poor performance will provide for an agonizing tablet experience.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom