Tablet for surfing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
But seriously...

I have an old Samsung tablet that is Andriod 4 and it streams video just fine. I recently found out that it can be upgraded to Andriod 11 with the right magic.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also use a Samsung tablet daily. Mine cost $150 new about 9 months ago and is the 8" size. It streams youtube and Netflix just fine. If I need wifi when traveling, I use the hotspot on my phone. Works fine for me.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the Amazon ones HD and really accurate colors? Seems they would have lesser clarity but I have no basis foe that assumption. I need true colors and good resolution for Hot Wheels stuff, a chip here or there, or a slight difference in color, can make a HUGE difference in value/profit.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife has been in IT for quite some time and she uses a Samsung tablet. However, with our traveling, she has one that is "hooked" to Verizon, so she can use it anywhere she can get a signal. And, that is mostly everywhere. Nice that she can use it in hotels or in vehicles as we are moving around a lot in our Summer jobs.

As for Apple, someone I knew on a previous forum spoke of "iPod, iPad, iPeed."

While we use an iPad in our Summer job, we stay Android in everything else.

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Samsung galaxy tablet daily (too much really) to do exactly what you are wanting to do. I think it's a good inexpensive option for you.
I've gone through a number of tablets of various sizes over the past dozen years of so. I will never buy another RCA tablet. Lenovo tablets are OK. Last three tablets I've bought that I actually liked, were Samsung. Galaxy Tab 7, 8, and 10.5 The last one I bought for SWMBO, but she said it was too heavy for her, so she traded it for my 8" tablet. Unless all you want to do is read e-books, don't bother with Amazon Fire tablets. They're crippled, even if the screen is nice. Our last one bricked itself, about a year and a half after I bought it, and it was too "obsolete" for them to support it.

The newish Samsung Galaxy Tab10.5 will accept a 1tb microSD memory card. I've got several hundred Kindle books on it, over 13,000 mixed Mobi & Epub books, and about 400gb of mostly metalworking books in PDF format, among other things on it. Been sick in bed the past few days, and I've been reading most of the time I'm there, so it's getting about 14 hours a day of use, and though it's battery wants charged at the end of the day, whenever that is, it does pretty good at lasting as long as I need it. I bought it just after they came out, so it was about $400 all told, tablet, case, screen protector, memory card (over $100 for the memory card alone). 128gb memory on the tablet itself, too. It is pretty heavy, but the case I got has a neck strap and a hand grip. With all the crap I've got on it, I still have something like 79gb of free space on the tablet, and 400gb on the card. I've used the thing as a removable drive to transfer files to other computers, too.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the Amazon ones HD and really accurate colors? Seems they would have lesser clarity but I have no basis foe that assumption. I need true colors and good resolution for Hot Wheels stuff, a chip here or there, or a slight difference in color, can make a HUGE difference in value/profit.
YMMV, but I wouldn't buy another Amazon tablet for anything. They do have a decent screen, but the OS is crippled, and their app store is lacking in useful apps. You also can't add storage to them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom