To permit, or not to permit? That is the question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My little sister has for years carried concealed, without a permit and I seriously doubt she'll ever get one. She likes to point out that an inadvertent infraction committed by the permit holder carries much more stringent penalties, than for the citizen without a permission slip to exercise a right makes an error. She's been stopped a few times over the years, didn't notify and nothing happened. Females certainly seem able to get away with more stuff.

All things considered, what's the point of getting a permit, versus not getting a permit? What are the advantages and disadvantages of carry by an otherwise lawful citizen with, or without government permission?

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be way out in left field, but I have to think that if she ever gets into a shoot, she'll get eaten alive in a civil trial, even if everything else about the shoot is legit.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why should we have to ask permission?

if it is a right, and not a privilege, then what is the point of licensing, other than the state increasing its revenue, while keeping the poor disarmed?

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on?
"Her flagrant disregard for the laws of this state."

/shrug. It's more of a hunch than anything else. Not sure if there are any cases to back up the feeling. But I can see plaintiff's attorney going hog-wild over suing someone who was carrying without a permit. Some prosecutors would have fun with that, too.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Based on?
Probably gross negligence, culpable negligence, or something similar that a crafty attorney can come up with.

And flybeech, really with this thread? Are you really asking the advantages of breaking the law (which makes you no longer law abiding, btw)? In an open forum?

Otis, can you show me where your "right" is to conceal or openly carry a firearm? Do you think these "rights" are unrestricted? Why is it "the man" always trying to keep us down?

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the right of the people (i'm a people) to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...

requiring a class, costing up to 80 bucks, not to mention perhaps having to take a day off from work, then the fingerprinting/passport photos/background fees and time taken, make it more difficult for the poor to find the time and money to beg for favor from the state in order to receive permission to excercise a right.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the right of the people (i'm a people) to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...

requiring a class, costing up to 80 bucks, not to mention perhaps having to take a day off from work, then the fingerprinting/passport photos/background fees and time taken, make it more difficult for the poor to find the time and money to beg for favor from the state in order to receive permission to excercise a right.
Ah, I believe SCOTUS has a different view than you. You see, they believe the 2A doesn't grant you the liberty to carry your weapon. If they did, every state would have constitutional carry. People with domestic violence convictions, felonies and VPO's also cannot carry or purchase firearms. Are their civil liberties not protected under the Constitution as well? How can there be libel and slander laws? Warrantless searches? Firearms in federal buildings?
You see, you do have civil liberties, but the Gov't can dictate certain things about said liberties

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Without digressing too far off the OP's question- Maybe pay for and talk her in to one of the women's CC classes at H&H, then grease the skids by talking to the Attorney that speaks to the class. Not to badger or scare her, but to share the benefits of legal carry in a positive sense.

$60 and a phone call or email. If it prevents even a Misdemeanor charge in the future, it's money we'll spent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom