To Quit or To Quit Quitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navy_chief

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well,
I quit in 10-10-2010 easy date to remember. I smoked for 24 years started when I was 18 at parties and went thru my
Entire Navy career. I used the camel snuz the mellow flavor to kick the smoking habit. They are a different type of tobac you dont have to spit out the tobac juice and they dont make you sick. Belive me i tried the gum the patches and thewelbutrin and always went back to the damn cigs. I only rarely use the camels anymore just when i feel the urge for some nicotine. The best piece of advice i have is you have to quit for yourself and no one else.
Now the other part that sucks is i gained 30 lbs due to not smoking.

brnm8brn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Now the other part that sucks is i gained 30 lbs due to not smoking."

no doubt my appetite has went thru the roof, like munchie hunger just crazy

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the op. Good for you man. I don't have a whole lotta advice, but smoked for 17 years, started when I was fifteen. Been smoking a pack a day since I was 18. I quit the 5 th of august and haven't had one since.

I just wanted to say good luck and it does get better. I actually have days here and there where I don't want one. As time goes on I have more and more of them. But like okietool said if the world is ending I am cig jacking someone. I would die a smoker. Best of luck to ya. I will be rooting for you

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Started smoking 1973, have quit three times for over a year each time, and started right back. January 17th 2012 at around 09:45 I was hit by a major stroke. I spent the next three days at St. John's hospital fighting the blur. Also on that very same day I quit smoking for the last time. I plan on being around long enough to see my kids graduate, hopefully see some grandbabies so I can spoil them rotten!!

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started smoking in high school in the late 50s. Smoked two packs a day Camels or Luckies were my favorite, but liked Marlboro some also. Liked Cigars too. I was infantry recon as a young soldier and it hurt when I ran several miles in the morning. On May 1st, 1980 I woke up and reached for a cigarette but didn't because my lungs hurt. Got up and ran 6 miles. Came back and threw mine away. I've never looked back and nothing could make me smoke again. It was tough for a month or so but I used physical exertion to get my mind off it. Lots of running and lots of sex. Actually, the toughest part for the next few years was walking thru the house and not reaching for one of my wife's cigarettes laying on a table. I had already beat the nicotine - that's the habit part. She smoked for 10 years after I quit. She quit when her Mother had lung cancer. Everyone has their own trigger to finally quitting. You just have to be stronger than the desire. There are many things in life more important than cigarettes. Nicotine is a drug. When you finally decide - you will quit. Good luck!

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you tried this?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking/dp/1402718616

One thing I like with Carr is that he covers the psychology of smoking and quitting, and talks about why certain methods really don't work.

I have a copy of it at home, on my coffee table. Any smoker that picks it up is welcome to borrow it. Every smoker who has borrowed it has quit smoking, except for one. My mom quit reading it, because she knew she would quit if she finished the book (her words.)
Though she read part of it at work, and two of her coworkers bought the book and quit. One of the coworkers had it lying around at home and her mom read it (65yrs old, smoking since 13), and she quit that week. None of them have smoked since.

There's some selection bias here... people who don't want to quit will run from the book. People who do want to quit, just need a shove in the right direction.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So many times i have tried to quit smoking over the last 20 years and it never failed that within a few days i was back to a pack a day, until recently i am cheating a bit tho. I purchased an e-cig from okc vapes, she is local out of bethany, anyways long story short i purchased my kit from her and now it has been almost 3 weeks since i last purchased a pack of marlboro lights. I guess my main reason behind this post is have any of you taken this route and if so have you succeeded or failed, and why, Thank you

Quit or DIE. It is really that simple.

My mother died from smoking relating emphysema. So did her sister. My uncle on my father's side died from smoking related lung cancer. My dad died from smoking related lung cancer. My mom was 1st to go. The rest all knew the consequences but chose to keep smoking anyway. Dumb choices.

Quitting seems like a no brainer choice to me.

But what the hell - it's still a free country (almost anyway).

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LightningCrash said:
Have you tried this?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking/dp/1402718616

One thing I like with Carr is that he covers the psychology of smoking and quitting, and talks about why certain methods really don't work.

I have a copy of it at home, on my coffee table. Any smoker that picks it up is welcome to borrow it. Every smoker who has borrowed it has quit smoking, except for one. My mom quit reading it, because she knew she would quit if she finished the book (her words.)
Though she read part of it at work, and two of her coworkers bought the book and quit. One of the coworkers had it lying around at home and her mom read it (65yrs old, smoking since 13), and she quit that week. None of them have smoked since.

There's some selection bias here... people who don't want to quit will run from the book. People who do want to quit, just need a shove in the right direction.

You touched on the psychology of smoking and quitting. As a life-long non-smoker, this is an area of interest for me. I tend to "watch" smokers and their habits trying to understand why they do what they do. I watch them come out of QT, get in their car and shake the pack vigorously before firing one up. They look like they are getting a drink of water after a 5 mile walk in the desert.

I've honestly never understood the habit but am very interested in knowing why someone would start it. I heard a statistic the other day that 4000 kids start smoking every day. We've known for a good while that not much good can come from smoking so what would possess a kid to start?

I don't intend for any of this to sound condescending and it may look that way in text form but this is an area that has intrigued me since my younger days. I'm just very interested in knowing what would cause a person to take up the habit of smoking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom