To Quit or To Quit Quitting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brnm8brn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you tried this?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking/dp/1402718616

One thing I like with Carr is that he covers the psychology of smoking and quitting, and talks about why certain methods really don't work.

I have a copy of it at home, on my coffee table. Any smoker that picks it up is welcome to borrow it. Every smoker who has borrowed it has quit smoking, except for one. My mom quit reading it, because she knew she would quit if she finished the book (her words.)
Though she read part of it at work, and two of her coworkers bought the book and quit. One of the coworkers had it lying around at home and her mom read it (65yrs old, smoking since 13), and she quit that week. None of them have smoked since.

There's some selection bias here... people who don't want to quit will run from the book. People who do want to quit, just need a shove in the right direction.

thanks i just ordered it

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hang in there, it can be done. I am smoke free for ten years. Hardest thing I ever did.

As to why people smoke? For most people that start young, it was to fit in. I don't believe anyone wakes up one morning and says "I think today I will become a smoker" or alcoholic or drug addict.

My Dad was born in 1924 and he always told me when he was young everyone knew cigarettes were not good for a person. The were referred to as (coffin nails).

gregorius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. People that don't have the addiction are incapable of understanding that statement, but the urge to smoke cigarettes is unbelievably powerful. On a drive back to OKC from Dallas one Sunday, I smoked my last Camel Light. I just decided that I would see how long I could go without buying more. That was just a hair under 3 years ago. I had "quit" two times before, but I only went a couple of months before I caved and bought a pack. The only difference was me - the nicotine is out of your system in about 72 hours, but this last time I was finally ready to deal with the unbelievable mental strain of not being able to fill that void.

I didn't use anything to quit - other than simple diversion. Every time I would feel the urge to smoke, I would occupy myself somehow. You only have to distract yourself for a couple of minutes until the urge passes, but you can't just sit around thinking about smoking or you will probably fail. I would go to the garden, walk the dog, play a record - anything to take my mind off it until the urge passed. That said, if e-cigs work for you, by all means do it. It is worth the effort. I did gain a little weight but I feel so much better that I don't care that much. No more hacking up a lung every morning. No more spending piles of money on something you burn and will kill you eventually. Its a good feeling when you finally feel like you made smoking your *****, but it takes a very long time to get there.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive been a quitter for 20+ years. Ive tried about everthing and still smoke. E-cigs did work for awhile, patches worked awhile too.

What works for me best is to stay away from anyone that smokes. Cant smoke em if nobody has em. That and stay super busy.

I can say about a monthish. I wont say i wasted my money, ive got an ecig in a drawer somewhere.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I smoked for 21 years and LOVED IT. Started when I was 13 years old. Quit after having 2 heart attacks at 34 years old. Been smoke free for 12 years. For me, the key to quitting was bigger than myself. If I didn't quit I'd be dead, and then who would take care of my family? I crashed twice in the ICU...and thought for sure I was going to die. Sometimes God gives us a second chanced, I was lucky. To quit I used Wellbutrin to help with the mood swings....then just forced myself not to pick up another smoke. I knew that I could choose death, or my family. My family is MUCH more important to me than smoking. For you....find your motivating factor...whatever it is...and don't look back.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats and keep fighting the urge. Lost my dad 9 years ago at the age of 56 to lung/brain cancer. His last few weeks of life I wouldn't wish anybody. He smoked from the time he was 14 until 50, finally quit when he had a heart bypass. Five years later, lung cancer, two months after the lung cancer, brain tumor......................6 months later, gone. Died on his birthday, February 28th.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never was a cig smoker,but loved snuff,cigars, and pipe smokin'. My Dad and grandpa died of smoking related heart disease and emphysema. He had three heart bypasses and died at 57.

Dad always told me he was glad I didn't smoke cigs. But nicotine is strongly addictive as we all know. I finally stopped doing the nicotine a few years ago.

Good luck with the e-cigs and I hope they work for ya. You can do it.....

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations. You're now a non-smoker!

I'd like to toss out some food for thought.

Our society hates a quitter, right? "Quitters never win, and winners never quit." I submit that it's sometimes hard to wrap your mind around that when you're trying to end the tobacco habit. You didn't quit not smoking. You became a smoker. Likewise, you've now become a non-smoker again. I know a couple of people who tried multiple times to stop smoking, and changing their mindset like this was what tipped the scales for them.

Good look!

The other thing you can do is put aside the $$$ you used to spend on smokes in a box or coffee can or whatever. Keep it there as a tangible demonstration of what you're saving. (Call it a new gun fund if it helps :) )

Latest posts

Top Bottom