40+ years of drinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ugh, I feel ya on the not getting any sleep. Might try 25mg of benedryl. Honest to God, even when my pain meds aren't helping a benedryl will snag me a couple of hours at least. I don't take every night, just when I lay there staring at the ceiling and everybody else is snoring.
I thought I was hungover all those mornings turns out I just feel like $hi!! every morning lol

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll share this, at 36 I had 18 years sober and people started telling me that after all these years they didn’t think I was an alcoholic, just a young guy having too much “fun”. That stupid thought stuck in my head and thinking “I’d never had a legal drink” and being an adult now I’d enjoy a fancy glass of cabernet with my rib steak. Within a month I was fall down drunk and couldn’t hold a job. Took me 5 years of trying to get sober again through AA and church plus three rehabs before I finally got some decent sobriety time. Also took two solid years before I made it through a day without having to fight the horrendous cravings to have a drink. I say this only as a caution, you certainly may choose to start drinking again but be warned if you do you may never have another opportunity to stop. Now today with God being my strength in times of weakness I’ve managed to not had a drink since December 30, 2008. Yup, I got sober on New Years Eve. Kinda ironic if you think about it. 😂😂

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll share this, at 36 I had 18 years sober and people started telling me that after all these years they didn’t think I was an alcoholic, just a young guy having too much “fun”. That stupid thought stuck in my head and thinking “I’d never had a legal drink” and being an adult now I’d enjoy a fancy glass of cabernet with my rib steak. Within a month I was fall down drunk and couldn’t hold a job. Took me 5 years of trying to get sober again through AA and church plus three rehabs before I finally got some decent sobriety time. Also took two solid years before I made it through a day without having to fight the horrendous cravings to have a drink. I say this only as a caution, you certainly may choose to start drinking again but be warned if you do you may never have another opportunity to stop. Now today with God being my strength in times of weakness I’ve managed to not had a drink since December 30, 2008. Yup, I got sober on New Years Eve. Kinda ironic if you think about it. 😂😂

Wow! Good for you for getting sober again! That's quite a story you've lived.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I found myself drinking plain orange juice at 9:30 one Saturday morning and thought it tasted off. It did. It tasted off because it didn't have any vodka in it and I was too drunk to get down the stairs to get to the car to go to the liquor store to "fix" it.

I decided that morning while I was scrubbing the kitchen that I might have a problem and I didn't take another drink for YEARS. Let's see ... That was in 81. I went to work at the bar in 88 ... So almost 7 years. I am still the girl who will crack open an ice cold beer, just "dying" for a drink and throw the half left in the bottle out the next morning. I dunno. I'll overdo it with wine every once in a blue moon but that's it. I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I had a drink and I can't. I dunno. It might be different if I wasn't taking pain meds -- I am hyper-vigilent about mixing the two. That kinda stuff scares me a bit cuz I've seen upclose what mixing the two can do and it ain't good.

All you guys who have to fight those urges have my utmost respect. Life is hard enough. I'm not sure I'm as tough as y'all are, even though I like to talk a good game. 😘

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe your right on starting to drink again I don’t see myself recovering from that thanks for posting

Latest posts

Top Bottom