40+ years of drinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any addiction to alcohol, tobacco or drugs so I have no experience to offer as a help. I do believe that voice you heard was the very real voice of God. For all who have shared overcoming your habit or addiction, I applaud your will power. Blessings to continue knowing many here have your back spiritually.
Amen

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes sometimes I seer a beer commercial and think dam that looks good but then it goes away
I can tell you what helped me avoid beer in general. When I was a kid, the school bus stop was in front of a city park where the teenagers liked to drink beer at night, and they were inordinately fond of Coors. Let me tell you, there's not much that smells worse than a partially-drunk can of Coors that's been left out for a few Oklahoma 100 degree summer days.

To this day, I can't stand the smell of Coors, fresh or not.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not with alcohol, but I smoked cigarettes for roughly 20 years and then a pipe for 20 or 21 after that. When I went in to have the cataract surgery on my first eye, I think I would have been willing to give up my left leg to have my pipe for a bit before. THAT was the worst craving I had had in 10 years at the time. I can understand the "psychological" cravings.
Yeah, I did the cigarettes too, for a couple decades. 3 pack a day habit. I quit the smokes years before the alcohol.

I put them down one day and walked away. I even had a pack in the pickup , or on the bike, for a year or so afterwards. I never went back, although there were a few times that were very close.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I did the cigarettes too, for a couple decades. 3 pack a day habit. I quit the smokes years before the alcohol.

I put them down one day and walked away. I even had a pack in the pickup , or on the bike, for a year or so afterwards. I never went back, although there were a few times that were very close.

Yeah, well...

...I didn't "really" want to quit smoking, but I made the mistake of letting the wife go with me for my annual physical at the doctor's. They ganged up on me. The doc said that he could give me a prescription to help me, but that the medicine was really an anti-depressant. I answered with something like, "well, your talk of me quitting is very depressing."

He said, "Here's your prescription for (I think) Wellbutrin. Take it in a tapering off fashion and pick a date in the future for your "cold-turkey" day to quit." Wife and I also checked the Farmer's Almanac to see when would be a good time according to the signs. April 19, 2003 ended up being that date.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit smoking after a heart attack. I was 34 and started smoking at 13. It was rough, but easier than dying and not being able to take care of my family. Almost died twice in the ICU. I tell ya life really changes when you realize that you only have a short time here.
Jeez. Glad you pulled thru that

Josh P

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen brother went through something similar but not nearly as long of a time. Drank all my life prolly like you did just a good old boy on the back roads. At 27 turned into a minimum 6 pack a night and some whiskey. Never got **** faced or mean just looked up one day and it had been years and I couldn’t go a day without it. I had tried to quit a few times but the shakes were bad and dam I was only 35 and not a drunk. Well finally kind of like you I prayed, my health was getting bad I was 5’8 265 I hated life. Now I’m 170, I don’t even think about drinking anymore don’t even miss it. I never did get those shakes after I prayed though never thought about it til I read this.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey @kwaynem how you doing today?? I dunno why but I felt compelled to check on you. 😘
Doing good thanks I have moments like when it’s over 100 degrees been sweating my ass off all day at work and come home and think a ice cold beer sounds good but I decline and have ice water or sweet tea instead my biggest problem is going to sleep I toss and turn a lot I have tried melatonin, CBD, and NyQuil nothing seems to work so far I get up at 4:15am so 3 or 4 hours of sleep catches up with me about Wednesday

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doing good thanks I have moments like when it’s over 100 degrees been sweating my ass off all day at work and come home and think a ice cold beer sounds good but I decline and have ice water or sweet tea instead my biggest problem is going to sleep I toss and turn a lot I have tried melatonin, CBD, and NyQuil nothing seems to work so far I get up at 4:15am so 3 or 4 hours of sleep catches up with me about Wednesday

Ugh, I feel ya on the not getting any sleep. Might try 25mg of benedryl. Honest to God, even when my pain meds aren't helping a benedryl will snag me a couple of hours at least. I don't take every night, just when I lay there staring at the ceiling and everybody else is snoring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom