Took a Stolen Gun on Trade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache 46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don’t know the law on a personal possession point of view. When I was 18, I worked at a pawn shop. I know all the police had to do was show up with a police report and a way to positively identify the stolen property and we had to hand it over. Now I can imagine that I could have dug my heals in and demand a thorough process or simply lied and said I sold it for cash. But I guess I did what I thought was proper. I am sure someone will chime in with the appropriate legal point of view.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're a victim of theft by deception

Theft by deception is the act of stealing from another person under false pretenses. This kind of crime is often deliberate, as it is a manipulative way of gaining control of a person's assets, property, or finances by the culprit falsely representing themselves, value, and their intentions.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you meet the detectives inside the OKC PD? Are you 100% sure you were dealing with actual detectives? Not saying its not legit, however I trust no one, and would want to verify. With technology it is pretty easy to spoof numbers and represent one to be someone they are not.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd think your only recourse would be through whoever sold you the gun. But the likelihood of success is pretty small, and after you add in the hassle factor I think you're better off chalking it up to a 'that sucks' experience and moving on. Good luck.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
happened to me before. the timeline police provided didn't match when i bought it! i had given it to my dad he vouched for timeline. they took it anyway gave it to the guy who claimed it was his. come to find out Taurus has run their serial number series several times at least. so i lost out and the guy who took the gun it probably wasn"t his. said it was stolen in Arizona in early 90's and i had bought it in 85 a few years after i got out of highschool... just tough but not much you can do about it.

Last edited:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Snattlerake…. Thank you. Hadn’t really thought of it like that.

Beemer…… yes I’m sure. I actually had to talk with three different detectives over the phone. Some times they called me and others I called them. And yes we actually met at the Norman PD.

Thank you both.

Did you ask to see or be given a copy of the theft report?

Latest posts

Top Bottom