Tower climber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The school district I work for. It is actually a light pole for the baseball field, got the climbing pegs up the side of it and everything.

If it's got the pegs, grab your climbing harness, mount a go pro on your head, and post it here when you've completed your task!:)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
OG&E donated a pole and service to put in new tornado siren at our fire dept a couple of years ago. Crane company donated the crane and time.......you might give them a try.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be asking if the pole is sound and set deep enough

Rule of thumb is 10% length plus 2 feet or 7+2= 9 feet...and be aware the way the pole is loaded , wind may make it prudent to go deeper. If you don't know how to survey a pole for rot at the ground line or heart I won't explain it here.... But they do weaken with age. Wooden poles fail and fall with altered strain.

OGE has work to do.... And they don't want the liability. Munis have a little more leeway especially with other department

They rent some tall trucks.... And anybody who knows line work knows those "steps" are handholds and gaffs hold the feet.... Pull one of those ball hangers out when you least expected it and you will know why nobody steps poles anymore.

Climbing wood and towers takes training and the right gear... After 30 years I've learned to respect gravity.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HAHAHA, OGE help with anything around here! The only thing they do is write us BIG FAT bills!
Compare your bill from OGE with any of the small cites in Oklahoma that re sell the same wholesale kW at a markup.... some small towns get nearly .14cents a kWH residential for .08 juice anyplace else in the country.

The profit doesnt go into the system.... it pays out to the other departments covering their loss.... water, sewer ,parks and streets dont cover their own overhead in most small towns and property taxes dont cover expenses either.

I know people assume climbing is easy. I did pole schools for a lot of years. It takes about 200 guys to get an apprenticeship class of 15 and the climbing washes them out right off the bat. Out of those 15 half will drop before they finish 4 years... heights and electric get them.... a good arc or fall gets em close to Jesus.

In 30 years .... personally , I've fished a dozen employees or customer's out of trees or off poles.... locked right up and couldn't move a finger

Latest posts

Top Bottom