Traditional Pocket Knives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been asking around (have a thread on Blade Forums) and trying to get some info on traditional knives. I'd like to purchase my first traditional pretty soon.

So far, I've been pointed toward Great Eastern Cutlery (which includes GEC, Tidioute, and Northfield), Queen Cutlery, and obviously brands like Case, Boker, Schrade, and Buck.

I want something nice, but I don't really know what I want. I don't really care too much for jigged bone, or stag, but I like some of the smooth bone and really like a pretty wood finish. Just learning about the different common models of the early 1900s is pretty cool for me, but at the end of the day, I really want to own something that I'd be proud to show off, yet not hesitate to break out and use.

I'm down to a few models. Anyone else into the old traditionals (lock-backs or slip-joints)?

Case Medium Stockman in Chestnut Bone:

images_knifecenter_com_knifecenter_resize_thumb_php_d6bdc6427991861322545f21b1cc9805._.jpg

Case Canoe in Chestnut Bone:

images_knifecenter_com_knifecenter_resize_thumb_php_858b7d409812aecd0b627ab36e4aa8ec._.jpg

Boker Congress Whittler in Rosewood:

images_knifecenter_com_knifecenter_resize_thumb_php_0f851f04e8dd803cf56a0756e4a90a9a._.jpg

Queen Medium Stockman in Curly Zebra-Wood (Queen makes a lot of their traditionals with D2 Tool Steel - which I love):

[Broken External Image]

But my favorite so far, is the Northfield Conductor. Here it is in Gaboon Ebony Wood with a bail, 1095 High Carbon Blades and dimpled bolsters:

[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do you like the trapper-style knives man? I keep telling myself that I want one with blades at opposite ends and that somehow I won't like the Trappers, but I don't honestly have a reason as to why. Would love to hear your feedback on carrying one.

I don't know what to say about it really. I put it in my pocket and go. I think the Trappers are a little longer that that 3 bladed model you were talking about maybe by 3/4s of an inch or so. Either blade isn't to be used as a prybar or screw driver as they are thin and you will put a notch in the edge. You can make these blades razor sharp and they will hold their edge as long as you don't try to cut 1/2 inch hemp style rope.

I have a "Ducks Unlimited" Schrade trapper style knife I like equally as well. It has wooden scales instead of the antler or bone type my Case has.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say buy a nice Camillus 69. They have some of the best steel I've ever had in a traditional pocket knife. You can pick up a nice one for about $30. It won't be new as they haven't made them in 20 years. I have several. You are welcome to check one out.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still carry a Schrade Old Timer on occasion. I found a 3 blade model a few years ago with a nice real wood handle, I tried finding one on the Schrade website but couldn't. My grandpa and my dad both carried some brand of folder all their lives, usually either Case, Buck, or Schrade. I think they're still a good all around utility knife, from gutting a fish to farm work, but I carry for the nostalgia too:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom