Tree Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boris D’arc. Very hard, yellow wood. Makes great fence posts that take forever to rot. Also makes nice knife handles.

View attachment 394517View attachment 394518

First of all, Bois D'Arc fence posts are the pits. After a certain point, if a staple pulls out, one can't drive another one into the post. The ones we had were so bad I had to use baling wire to refasten the wire to the post.

Also, good looking knife. Is the cane also from Bois D'Arc?

And finally, there is a town in Missouri called Bois D'Arc.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bois D'Arc

Ancient species, with few, if any close relatives.

Sap is very sticky and gums up stuff when working green wood.
Good firewood (higher BTU per rick than Oak or Ash) if you can stand the thorns and sap when you cut it.
Very dense and very hard.
Makes good coals and burns well.
Splits ok, if you don't have knots or forks to contend with.

Commonly used where rot resistance takes priority to cosmetics, (fence posts).

Rare to find large straight specimens suitable for lumber.
Some like it for longbow staves.
Machnes well, if you can get a piece big enough to play with.
VERY HARD
Heart wood is bright yellow, and turns to an amber brown over time.
I have used it for mallets to use with carving tools and other small things where HARD DENSE wood was needed.

Fruit is ok for target practice, but does not give proper visual gratification.
Horses eat the fruit.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spelled Bois D'arc, pronounced Bo dark. Like @OkieJoe72 says, nobody round here calls them anything else. lol

IDK about your horse apple tater-gun plans...sounds like it might not work out well
I agree, the fruit is fibrous and tough. you would have to hammer it down the tube of a tater gun,
The juice is so sticky and hard to clean up, you would regret the experience, even if you got the gun loaded.

However, it would be good for Catapult ammo.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, the fruit is fibrous and tough. you would have to hammer it down the tube of a tater gun,
The juice is so sticky and hard to clean up, you would regret the experience, even if you got the gun loaded.

However, it would be good for Catapult ammo.
I agree....it's called a tater gun for a reason

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, Bois D'Arc fence posts are the pits. After a certain point, if a staple pulls out, one can't drive another one into the post. The ones we had were so bad I had to use baling wire to refasten the wire to the post.

Cane?

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have lived here my entire (67 years) life and has always called them Bo Dark, but after attending school and got just alittle smarter learned they was either Bois D'arc or Osage orange but i still call the Bo Dark
Sounds like my dad and how he's ingrained "bremmer" into our heads instead of using "brahman" when talking cattle.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard tell that if you put a few of the hedge apples around inside your garage, they repel spiders. No evidence to support that, but it can't hurt. I do know the wood is really hard on chain saws.
Hi All,

There’s a tree I’ve only seen since moving to Oklahoma and I’m curious what it might be. It’s probably 30’-40’ tall in the picture. “Fruit” is about the size of a softball which is milky inside. I’m sure this sucker is as poisonous as all get-out. Any clue what I’m looking at?View attachment 394422View attachment 394423View attachment 394424
Deer eat the fruit and leaves. Smash the fruit either by running over it with something heavy (it will make a popping sound when smashed) we run over ours with the mule or tractor. Cut some branches and just spread them around, if you have deer close by the fruit and leaves will be gone in a couple days. Squirrels will also eat the fruit. We have several trees close by , male and female, they don’t all produce fruit. We used to pick them up to mow the yard but now we just smash them and watch the deer eat them up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom