Trout advice for newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The family and I will be heading to NM next month for a week, and plan to do some fishing. We are going to be staying just south of Taos, at a place that is supposed to have a creek/stream/river running through it. I also want to fish the river that follows the highway from Cimarron to Eagle Nest, maybe Eagle Nest lake as well. Just looking for advice on bait/lures, as well as sizes for tackle, especially hooks. I have some of the hook packs that range from #14-#2 or something like that, plus some marshmallow looking power bait stuff. I've heard the Power Bait stuff and inline Mepps were pretty good most of the time. Only trout I've ever caught were a few brookies in MN a few years back. Also, any good recipe ideas would be awesome as well. Thanks, Clint

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I elk hunt that area, but have never fished it. Typically frozen at the time we are there.

Your probably talking about Cimarron Canyon State Parks as well as the Kit Carson National Forest, and Eagles nest lake.

They haven't had a lot of rainfall in that area in a few years, so Eagles nest lake is low. The part I've seen driving by toward Red River has shallow banks, and probably wouldn't be the greatest fishing right at the town of Eagles nest. Never been by the dam/discharge area.

Be sure and check the NM regulations about the fishing. There might be restrictions like fly only, or some may allow power bait, and artificial baits like spoons or mepps spinners.

I'd suggest calling each areas headquarters and visiting with one of the employees there.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be sure and check the NM regulations about the fishing. There might be restrictions like fly only, or some may allow power bait, and artificial baits like spoons or mepps spinners.

I'd suggest calling each areas headquarters and visiting with one of the employees there.

This. You don't want to get caught in a gold medal trout stream with a folger's can full of nightcrawlers!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would strongly check with the ranger station over that area. I know the stretch of river immediately below the Eagle Nest lake is leased by The Solitary Angler Fly Shop in Taos. Day rate on that area is around $375.00/day for access and guide, I think. This stretch is gold medal trout water. Eagle's Nest lake has a marina on the SW side and rents boats, I believe. People troll in ENL for trout and coho salmon using cowbells and other lures. You can also go to Red River and check with the fly shop there about fishing the Valle Vidal area NE of RR in the streams.

Latest posts

Top Bottom