Tulsa recs - need a new dishwasher and camping gear. Tomorrow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, old KitchenAid dishwasher went out. The main dishwasher went home to visit her family for the summer, and the backup dishwasher isn't fond of handwashing - and she sleeps in my bed. So we're going shopping. Since I'm the next backup dishwasher, and I absolutely LOATHE dishwashing, I am going to get the mechanical one fixed to keep the other half happy.

Did some looking at Lowes. She likes the Whirlpool ones. I dunno, not too familiar with dishwasher crap, so it doesn't matter much to me. Looking in the budget of ~$500 or so, could go up to $700, though she would like to keep it lower than that. And my new 300 Blackout gun would be happier to keep it less expensive, too.

So I'm just wondering, are there any large discount appliance warehouse-type places in Tulsa that would be a better bet than Lowes or Home Depot? We're not talking a gun safe or something, a dishwasher is a dishwasher. Basically, if it's black, it looks nice, it washes my dishes and is fairly quiet, I think I'll be happy. I'd love advice on models you guys may have recently picked up and what you like/don't like about them (if you have used them, or at least listened to your sig other ***** about them). If you can give me your assessment of their dB rating (if you remember it) and how it relates to "perceived volume" in use in your house, that'd be good. But I'm sure anything will be quieter than the probably 20+ year-old KitchenAid we're replacing. We have all KitchenAid stuff right now (except fridge), but I don't care too much about that.

Also, how hard is it gonna be for me to replace it myself? I've never pulled out a dishwasher or looked at how they work, really. I assume it's similar to a washer/dryer setup - water connections, drain, electric hookup. I figure I should be able to manage it... if not, we'll call someone out to put it in.

----------------------------------------------------------

Camping gear. We're going out for a weekend, need to get some gear this week. Since I'm going down to Tulsa, where is a good place other than Army Surplus, Academy and Bass Pro? Decent, serviceable equipment, not extreme weather gear, not heavy use stuff... we're talking a couple trips a year, max. If we decide we're gonna go camping more often than that, we'll look into better gear. Looking to spend a couple hundred or so on a tent, max, really. Only 3 of us, but we wanna have some inside room. The Coleman Instant tents were recommended here, but in reading a lot of reviews, they got EXTREMELY poor ratings for rain resistance, even light rain. We don't expect any monsoons, but if we do get a mild storm come through (still a major possibility in June), I don't wanna be miserable and everything be soaked.

So, lemme know what ya'll think, and where's a good place to look tomorrow in Tulsa? Not looking to buy North Face and other high-end gear - again, this is a first-time family camping trip and we will decide after a couple outings whether this is something we'll do more extensively.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's #1 requirement was our replacement had to be quiet, and the interior stainless steel. The one that came with the house sounded like a freight train during the cycle.

We used Consumer Reports magazine to make our choice. The #1 rated for quiet was a Bosch, and #2 was a Kenmore. The price difference was $400 with the Bosch being the most expensive.
We chose the Kenmore as the decibel rating was close to the Bosch.

Its quiet enough that Its tough to hear it running standing next to it.

Installation is a breeze. Attach the water line, and the line to the disposal, and its done.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife's #1 requirement was our replacement had to be quiet, and the interior stainless steel. The one that came with the house sounded like a freight train during the cycle.

We used Consumer Reports magazine to make our choice. The #1 rated for quiet was a Bosch, and #2 was a Kenmore. The price difference was $400 with the Bosch being the most expensive.
We chose the Kenmore as the decibel rating was close to the Bosch.

Its quiet enough that Its tough to hear it running standing next to it.

Installation is a breeze. Attach the water line, and the line to the disposal, and its done.

Good to know. I've been reading some reviews... don't guess you remember the noise rating on yours?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CR rated the Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR5[ ]UC dishwasher a best buy and it appears to be in your price range. It's also available at the several of the BestBuy stores according to their website and on sale for $449.99.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm constantly (it seems) buying appliances for rentals and Lowe's beats most everybody. If you use a Lowe's card you can get 5% off if paid at the end of the month or 0% interest if you need longer. I just bought a fridge and after checking everybody including Hahn's scratch and dent ripoff. I went with Lowe's as always. They usually have free delivery compared to everybody else's $75-100. My second choice is usually Sears when they have a big sale.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
CR rated the Bosch Ascenta SHX3AR5[ ]UC dishwasher a best buy and it appears to be in your price range. It's also available at the several of the BestBuy stores according to their website and on sale for $449.99.

Wife says she looked at that one and the reviews mention a lot of problems with the racks collapsing on your dishes when they are pulled in and out. And she looked at it in the store and the slots on the racks are really small.

She mentioned a Whirlpool one she looked at... I worry about Whirlpool. Reputation has definitely gotten worse over the last few years, from what I hear. Looking at reviews, looks like lots of problems, too - the wdf760sadm/wdf760sadb (black model).

I'm tired... about to give up for the night, this is all blurring together.

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's not hard-wired, and it takes you more than twenty minutes to install, you're doing something wrong.

If it is hard-wired--and it shouldn't be--add five minutes to find the right breaker.

If the outlet is too far away for the cord included (it happens), either allow time to disconnect and re-use the cord from the old unit, or to go to the hardware store, buy an appropriate extension cord (likely cheaper than cable plus plug), attach connection lugs, and you're back at twenty minutes. The big variable there is drive time, and that depends as much upon your willingness to risk a ticket as anything else. In the worst case, though, a half-hour of actual work should have you (and, more importantly, her, which is to say you) back to having robots clean your dishes.

I do love living in the future. :)

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not put an extension cord on a dishwasher, unless you buy a fire extinguisher too....;) lengthen the cord(check manu inst for max link
I've had good luck with LG and Frigidaire
Or just hire a maid..... ;)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife says she looked at that one and the reviews mention a lot of problems with the racks collapsing on your dishes when they are pulled in and out. And she looked at it in the store and the slots on the racks are really small.

She mentioned a Whirlpool one she looked at... I worry about Whirlpool. Reputation has definitely gotten worse over the last few years, from what I hear. Looking at reviews, looks like lots of problems, too - the wdf760sadm/wdf760sadb (black model).

I'm tired... about to give up for the night, this is all blurring together.

CR rates Bosch and Whirlpool as some of the most reliable brands of dishwashers. They gave wdf760sadm very good ratings based on its similarities to the Whirlpool WDT920SADM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom