Turkey Calls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All right, fellas. Since deer season was a bust I need to move on to Turkey Season. Never been. My father in law will get me out there but I don't want to have to depend on him to call in the birds. I would like some recommendations on some good calls. Whether mouth, slate, box or others. I've messed around with a box call, not sure how good it sounds but need some advice here. What are the easiest to learn, most effective and idiot proof, if there is such a thing? Types, styles and brands? Any other advice for a nOOb turkey hunter. I got a great bird killer, now I just have to get them in range. THanks for the help.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've always been a slate fan, mostly because they seem to pierce the wind better than anything else I've used. Wind shouldn't be an issue on that side of the state though. I keep it really simple, clucks and every great once in a while a cut but that's rare. I use either a glass surface or aluminum surface slate, graphite or rosewood strikers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use slate or box calls. It's amazing what different wood strikers will get from a slate. I turn them on a wood lathe here at home so get the opportunity to try several different hardwoods.
Just my opinion, but box calls seem to be easier for those learning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom