U.S. Apologizes for "abhorrent" syphilis study in Guatemala

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the same crap heap of people and deliberate criminals. Gawd.... I can't believe that I could or have become so hateful towards any group of people.... I'm sorry, but that entire portion of the globe should be nuked.

The 'doctor' who performed these experiments; Do you think he might have had the same notions as you?
Do you think that might be how he justified his experiments?

Being so morally superior and all.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This "experiment" is a shameful thing if the details in the story are true and accurate. I don't think it would be good to cover it up but at the same time it probably would have been better to investigate further and determine the actual amount of harm done before breaking the story.

As it is, releasing it just before the November elections makes me wonder if the democrats might not be seeking some political advantage.

There is also some irony in apologizing to the Guatemalan government. Isn't this the same government that brutally killed so many of its own native people in their own version of the killing fields? And the government there approved of and facilitated the study apparently so doesn't it need to apologize to it's own people?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This "experiment" is a shameful thing if the details in the story are true and accurate. I don't think it would be good to cover it up but at the same time it probably would have been better to investigate further and determine the actual amount of harm done before breaking the story.

As it is, releasing it just before the November elections makes me wonder if the democrats might not be seeking some political advantage.

There is also some irony in apologizing to the Guatemalan government. Isn't this the same government that brutally killed so many of its own native people in their own version of the killing fields? And the government there approved of and facilitated the study apparently so doesn't it need to apologize to it's own people?

Interesting that the article you link to mentions the 1954 CIA sponsored coup. You would think that would be something they'd leave out. We went down there and installed a government of crooks, but damn it, that's their fault, not ours.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ai277.photobucket.com_albums_kk47_Inshonotai_serious_cat.jpg

This Cat leads the way,I'm headed to a dark corner to lick myself.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes Dale, the Demoncrats leaked this now to lock in the huge Guatemalan-American Vote so they wouldn't vote for republicans instead.
/Sarcasm :laugh6:

And I can't find ANY evidence that the Guatemalan govt knew that we were infecting people with STDs.
They signed on to a study to find a cure for STDs, that's not the same thing as agreeing to infect people with STDs.
In Fact, it's just the opposite.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting that the article you link to mentions the 1954 CIA sponsored coup. You would think that would be something they'd leave out. We went down there and installed a government of crooks, but damn it, that's their fault, not ours.

You make a good point. No doubt there is plenty of dirt to be dug up in the bloody history of Central and South America. I have difficulty laying all the blame at our feet, however. Castro and communism were on the move and were not angels by any measure. I haven't studied the history of the region but if the US had stayed out, the communists may have prevailed. Your implication is that our hands are dirty and you are probably right but I'm unclear how else we might have effectively opposed communism. Given Stalin and Mao's massive human rights violations, giving them unopposed access would not have been a good thing for the people of the region. I believe the average person was better off in the "banana republics" than they were in Castro's Cuba. At least in the banana republics free enterprise could function and meet the needs of people and limited freedoms existed.

FlimFlam

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You make a good point. No doubt there is plenty of dirt to be dug up in the bloody history of Central and South America. I have difficulty laying all the blame at our feet, however. Castro and communism were on the move and were not angels by any measure. I haven't studied the history of the region but if the US had stayed out, the communists may have prevailed. Your implication is that our hands are dirty and you are probably right but I'm unclear how else we might have effectively opposed communism. Given Stalin and Mao's massive human rights violations, giving them unopposed access would not have been a good thing for the people of the region. I believe the average person was better off in the "banana republics" than they were in Castro's Cuba. At least in the banana republics free enterprise could function and meet the needs of people and limited freedoms existed.

Where does rubbing STDs on people come in though?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

No one had even heard of Fidel Castro in 1954.

Latest posts

Top Bottom