UPS vs. USPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You are wrong. When I went into the post office to ship the bullets I read the little sign about shipping hazardous materials. I had them in a postal white box because of the weight. I ask the guy if ammo was included . He didn't know and went and asked his boss. He was told I would have to ship them in a brown box and they would not be put on a plane because they sometimes use UPS planes and that violated UPS rules. So they were shipped per USPS rules according to the Ponca City post office .

They and you are wrong.
IMG_3246.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I was going to mention that. If dropping a box on a porch caused loose rounds to “be everywhere” then I can only imagine how they were packed. When I used to order bullets from Montana gold for reloading they were in a plastic bag inside a sturdy box and then inside another sturdy box. Never had a problem. Not to mention he’s lucky those loose rounds weren’t reported to the inspection service. Maybe they were. The only thing slower than mail is an inspection service investigation. [emoji23]

So you don't have to imagine anymore, the ammo was in a plastic bag that was in a single thick cardboard box which was wrapped with several layers of the clear packing tape. I didn't see it being delivered. I really don't know if he (or she) dropped it on the porch or threw it. Maybe it was Bigfoot moonlighting as a postal worker and he threw it from the truck window while parked on the street.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Was it just bullets, or was it fully loaded rounds of ammunition???

Bullets can be shipped. Ammunition may not be. I understood him to say it was 38 special ammunition. Powder or primers also may not be shipped with USPS.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So you don't have to imagine anymore, the ammo was in a plastic bag that was in a single thick cardboard box which was wrapped with several layers of the clear packing tape. I didn't see it being delivered. I really don't know if he (or she) dropped it on the porch or threw it. Maybe it was Bigfoot moonlighting as a postal worker and he threw it from the truck window while parked on the street.

The point is that packages are handled several times in transit by being tossed into containers and dumped off of conveyer belts. I’d be sure anything I sent was packed with that in mind. I’d also recommend looking up what can and can’t be sent. The employees should have known better but the ultimate responsibility is the mailer.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The point is that packages are handled several times in transit by being tossed into containers and dumped off of conveyer belts. I’d be sure anything I sent was packed with that in mind. I’d also recommend looking up what can and can’t be sent. The employees should have known better but the ultimate responsibility is the mailer.

Why does the post office waste our tax dollars printing up these little signs about what we can ship if the "ultimate responsibility" is on the mailer? I saw the sign , I told them what I was shipping, I asked the question about shipping it, and I did what they said to do. I guess I'm the problem because I didn't know I had the responsibility to know the postal worker's job. What is the postal worker required to know ? Apparently very little.

Pstmstr

Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Why does the post office waste our tax dollars printing up these little signs about what we can ship if the "ultimate responsibility" is on the mailer? I saw the sign , I told them what I was shipping, I asked the question about shipping it, and I did what they said to do. I guess I'm the problem because I didn't know I had the responsibility to know the postal worker's job. What is the postal worker required to know ? Apparently very little.

I’m just telling you what the rules are. It took me a 30 second google search to find the info. I’ve been retired since 2011 but I will tell you that out of 570 post offices at that time in Oklahoma, Ponca City ranked in the bottom 10. I would be upset too if I was told what you say you were. The good news is it sounds like your brother got the ammo plus or minus a few rounds and you didn’t get in trouble for sending it. I’ve been on the receiving end of damaged shipments twice. Once a Remington 1100 that had the magazine tube sticking thru a poorly prepared package and again with an AK47 that was fully exposed by a large rip in the box. It sucks and that’s why I go above and beyond making sure anything I send will make the trip intact.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was more upset of the $50 cost of shipping the ammo than the way they handled it. I don't doubt that the Ponca PO is rated very low. I ordered a 4 point roll bar for my car a few years back. My the time the freight company got it to Ponca it looked like it had been drug behind the truck all the way here. I had to keep it to use in an event two days later with one day needed to get there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom