URGH! I can't win

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes JB it was @ Okmulgee. Did we meet?

Yes and when you told me to take my finger off the trigger, you're damn lucky I didn't buffalo you with the butt of the pistol, after all it "wasn't loaded.". Ha ha ha just kidding!!!!

No, we didn't meet. I just used to go shoot out there all the time. Okmulgee County is my old stomping grounds. I know it well from Nuyaka to Flamesville.

I don't go there now because I have had the same experiences as EZ Bake and it's also a long drive.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My usual reply to the "it isn't loaded" excuse is "yeah? Well mine is, and if you point a gun at me again, I'm going to return the favor." Tends to get the point across pretty quickly.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My usual reply to the "it isn't loaded" excuse is "yeah? Well mine is, and if you point a gun at me again, I'm going to return the favor." Tends to get the point across pretty quickly.

Show me yours, I'll show you mine.

A lot of people have good intentions and think that if they just unloaded a pistol/rifle it is totally safe. For the most part they are right but no one else knows it is safe.
The first time I usually just give them the explanation of why it is best to keep it pointed downrange all of the time. After that all bets are off.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You were in the right. Maybe it would be good to carry a laminated print out of firearms safety rules with you when you go there. Run across a guber, give them an education. Maybe you'll do some good.

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I don't know his gun is unloaded & he points it at my son, I may have to act in self defense in fear of my son's life & respond with equal force.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not tolerate someone covering anyone in my presence with the muzzle or pointy end of any weapon. It is very scary to watch that happen even on controlled ranges...have even seen it at H&H.

I generally don't assault anyone verbally for having done so (not implying the poster did...I was not there and his actions may very well have been justified. In fact is sounds like he tried to correct the individual). Much better to try and educate than make an enemy. Most of the time I find that they just haven't had a good education on firearms safety. I figure kindly helping them to understand why "it's" bad is better for everyone. It might even save their life of the life of someone else.

Again I am not taking issue with the poster's actions. He did what he felt necessary to defend his family and himself. I wasn't there but having been on the other end of someone's tirade when I made a mistake do to lack of proper education (not firearms related) I can tell you it wasn't helpful at all. I would have rather had it clearly and kindly explained to me why my actions were inappropriate and what the correct way to perform that task was. Instead I came away with an extreme dislike and distrust of the individual who tried to correct me with epithets and verbal abuse. It colored my view of people in that profession for a very long time. I don't always but I do my best to treat everyone as I would like to be treated. Just a thought.

On the other side I have had to force the exit of one inDUHvidual from a range who continued to do the same stupid thing after politely being asked to change his behavior. He may have benefited from a little "modified stress training" ala my boot in is backside but I didn't care to get that close. Where "idiot with weapon" is concerned, distance is your friend. Other times I just left because I didn't feel it was safe to approach the offender(s).

Last edited:

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, he probably should of had hos ass kicked regardless. A high school friend of my wife lost his 4-year old nephew on Thursday because his sister's friend came for a visit and had a loaded unsecured handgun in his luggage. The friend;s 3-year old found it and pulled the trigger. Gross negligence. The family is blaming the sister for it, but she had no idea this ******* kept a loaded gun in his bags. unforgiveable. You don't keep a gun loaded when it is not in your possesion and you sure as hell don't put it in you luggage, loaded & ready to fire. It is morons like this that give guns a bad name.

Latest posts

Top Bottom