Used/cheap shop building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still vote for pouring piers and bolting the posts using brackets.

As mentioned above, be sure to post your progress so that OSA can offer free consults on every decision..

That's the way it should be done. Posts in concrete rot. You may not ever see it but it's there and it won't be any more secure than a post bolted to a pier. If the wind is strong enough to break the posts free from the piers it's strong enough to tear the building to pieces anyway.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I still don’t have the full kit. I have all my 16’ 2x4’s, a small bundle of panels, the trim, and all the insulation. There’s just a lot of material. Now the real work begins 😅
IMG_7699.jpeg
IMG_7702.jpeg

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So shout out to my awesome neighbor Trey. I know you all don’t know him from Adam but he saw me and my dad (65) outside unloading trusses and he popped outside and offered a hand. He helped me unload the rest of the load by hand which saved my dad’s back.

So that’s also the update. I have to go back and get insulation, 2x4’s, another bundle a sheet metal, trim, and screws. After that I’ll have everything. It’s getting real!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@caliberbob My only recommendations from my experience with our 30x40x16 steel shop building are these. Do not use vinyl backed fiberglass insulation. Spend the extra and get closed cell sprayed on. Rats love the fiberglass and leaks don't make it any fun either. Spray on is worth the extra money. I also got two 2 ton mini splits put in mid summer and they are fantastic. Couldn't really be in the shop in the summer as it jsut got too hot. Now with 100*+ temps and high humidity I can get the shop down to 68* easily and keep it there. THey also provide great heat in the winter so far. Lastly, prior owner put in a large shop sink with small 6 gallon or so electric water heater. It's so nice working in the shop or on the property and having a place to wash hands or face, etc. Sink just drains through a p-trap and pipe to the outside of the shop into the gravel. IMO, worth every penny for the aforementioned upgrades.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@caliberbob My only recommendations from my experience with our 30x40x16 steel shop building are these. Do not use vinyl backed fiberglass insulation. Spend the extra and get closed cell sprayed on. Rats love the fiberglass and leaks don't make it any fun either. Spray on is worth the extra money. I also got two 2 ton mini splits put in mid summer and they are fantastic. Couldn't really be in the shop in the summer as it jsut got too hot. Now with 100*+ temps and high humidity I can get the shop down to 68* easily and keep it there. THey also provide great heat in the winter so far. Lastly, prior owner put in a large shop sink with small 6 gallon or so electric water heater. It's so nice working in the shop or on the property and having a place to wash hands or face, etc. Sink just drains through a p-trap and pipe to the outside of the shop into the gravel. IMO, worth every penny for the aforementioned upgrades.
Believe me I have looked into this a lot. We just got done with a 40x60x14 general steel building back in Oregon and I ordered the roll insulation. I was talked out of it and i was going to do spray in before we moved. Problem is I make less than 1/3 of what I made back then and the quote I got back then was $22k for all spray foam. I’m guessing with my shop it’d be closer to $16k but I just don’t have the funds to do that at this point. I have thought about down the road when I have the money to do it I could cut out the roll insulation. Idk, I just gotta focus on needs right now as much as I’d love to get my wants 😕

Latest posts

Top Bottom