Used/cheap shop building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the way we are doing it that will be the easiest for us is as follows. Run string lines for the exact size of the building. Squared up. Layout posts and drilled holes. Then set forms. Get posts in place screwed to form and braced to maintain level and plumb. Then pour posts and slab at the same time so all concrete is one pour. This is going to be a two person install and I really gotta do it the easiest way possible.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the way we are doing it that will be the easiest for us is as follows. Run string lines for the exact size of the building. Squared up. Layout posts and drilled holes. Then set forms. Get posts in place screwed to form and braced to maintain level and plumb. Then pour posts and slab at the same time so all concrete is one pour. This is going to be a two person install and I really gotta do it the easiest way possible.

Rebar and mesh are your friends. I am old school on rebar and suspension wire mesh.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A guy can paint good, don’t paint bottom and wrap the wood poles with tar paper, leaving the bottom not wrapped. Dig the hole little deeper and gravel a few inches, set poles and pour the concrete. Some do this.

But the ones you use will be there 70 years and longer. We have hay barns that are over 60 years old, still as stout as day one.

Last edited:

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea of pouring the footing and wet setting a bracket in there. But honestly for easiness sake I may just put piles in the ground. I don’t plan on being here until the poles rot 😬

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No no no!

Pour piers 8" or more higher than your finished floor height and set your posts on the piers! You do not have to use crummy treated wood that will rot eventually!

Fill in between the piers with concrete or cement blocks. Keeps rodents from digging and making a nest under your floor! And gives a nice rise so your sheeting is not at ground level.

Put 2" ridgid dow or owens foam under your floor, and then 1/2" pex in the concrete for heat.

Dont forget to put 4" drains around your building perimeter with washed gravel to ground level to keep the water away from your foundation and floor

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No no no!

Pour piers 8" or more higher than your finished floor height and set your posts on the piers! You do not have to use crummy treated wood that will rot eventually!

Fill in between the piers with concrete or cement blocks. Keeps rodents from digging and making a nest under your floor! And gives a nice rise so your sheeting is not at ground level.

Put 2" ridgid dow or owens foam under your floor, and then 1/2" pex in the concrete for heat.

Dont forget to put 4" drains around your building perimeter with washed gravel to ground level to keep the water away from your foundation and floor
What are you doing this Saturday?

Stressed Over It GIF by HULU

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always heard the way to set the posts is NOT in the concrete. The real pros set the posts on piers. I should know...I watched a YouTube video.

Seriously...on top of the concrete is the way to do it. It will also show any potential buyers in the future it was done properly.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I’ve looked into those wet set brackets and they are ideal. I will pursue those over setting posts in concrete. But, if it’s going to cause a hassle with my inspector or concrete guys getting the work done I’ll just go the old fashioned way. I have about a 5 year plan at this house and I’ll never have to deal with them rotting. And I’ve talked to guys who said they’ll never rot. So idk, I’m in a pickle!

Latest posts

Top Bottom