Used/cheap shop building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a young guy, but... I checked on the cost savings to put it up myself. A whopping $1500. No thanks. I'll let the guys that know what they're doing put it up in one day. Plus if something goes wrong, they're responsible...not me.
Yeah that’s part of why these carport shops are so appealing to me. “Free” delivery and install. I know I’m paying for it but knowing I don’t have to do it myself is huge.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Those concrete numbers are staggering in my opinion!

What are you all getting for your $5 and up sq ft?

A quick search says national average for concrete is $157 / yard.

1 yard @ $157;
@4" thick is 81 sq ft, and $1.94 / sq ft
@5" thick is 64.8 sq ft and $2.42 / sqft
@6" is 54 sq ft and $2.91 / sq ft

Is your concrete prices include removing all the top soil of the project area, raising it up with at least 8" of clean washed gravel, proper grading of the gravel and tamping, vapor barrier, forming, pouring and finishing?

We do all our own prep work on concrete projects, so so the guys doing the finishing, are only doing finishing.

I think the next time I do any, I am going to attempt finishing it myself.

I have just about all the tools needed.

Another thing is I will not build anything where the sheeting / siding is down to floor height or with posts in the ground.

I want 8" minimum concrete / concrete block above floor height to build off of.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$5/sq ft includes everything. $7,500 covers labor, materials, concrete, gravel, and equipment. Feel like that’s reasonable. Our 40x60 back in Oregon was $30k but was had to do a huge footing with piers. Took 2+ trucks just to fill the entire footing and piers

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My concrete work was a bit north of $12k. I don't recall if he quoted me $7 or $7.50 sq ft. Right in that ballpark, though. That included all the site prep, concrete, labor, rebar, etc, plus 4 trucks of fill dirt and two trucks of gravel.

That was about the going rate with everyone I checked with. One guy told me $6 sq ft but he never called me back.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My concrete work was a bit north of $12k. I don't recall if he quoted me $7 or $7.50 sq ft. Right in that ballpark, though. That included all the site prep, concrete, labor, rebar, etc, plus 4 trucks of fill dirt and two trucks of gravel.

That was about the going rate with everyone I checked with. One guy told me $6 sq ft but he never called me back.
Yeah my friend told me he normally does $6/sq ft but I happen to have about 5-6 dump truck loads of crusher in my field from the previous owner. So he’ll go grab all that he needs with his skid steer.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is becoming more complicated. Another guy I know who we do cows together was helping get my steer to the butcher today. I was telling him about my shop and the cost and stuff. He said I should really consider a pole barn kit. He showed me his 30x40x14 at his place. The kit came with everything except concrete and labor. All posts, trusses, girts, Perlins, metal etc AND roll insulation. For $12k. That’s $3k less than the one I’m about to pull the trigger on. Obviously this is smaller sq footage but it is 2’ tall and from a storage aspect that’s a lot. Plus it’s obviously more rigid and heavy duty. I’m getting pricing tomorrow or Tuesday to be sure but I’m leaning towards doing that now.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We got a quote on a pole barn and it was $35k without any concrete. That was just the structure. I don't remember what size we had quoted but it wasn't as big as the one you're looking at.

I'd skip that roll insulation (the bubble wrap type stuff). It's expensive and pretty much worthless. Look into it for yourself before you pay for it. I had it put on my shop in Idaho and it was a waste of money.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We got a quote on a pole barn and it was $35k without any concrete. That was just the structure. I don't remember what size we had quoted but it wasn't as big as the one you're looking at.

I'd skip that roll insulation (the bubble wrap type stuff). It's expensive and pretty much worthless. Look into it for yourself before you pay for it. I had it put on my shop in Idaho and it was a waste of money.
The insulation the guy said is R-30. It sounded too high a number but that’s what he said. And again the kit was $12k for all materials. So if I put it up myself then I’m saving all that labor cost. Concrete would be $1k cheaper with the smaller shop too.

Idk man. Being in construction I always hate seeing people drop high dollar for lesser quality. I have the skill and knowledge to do the labor myself and I just don’t want to get that metal garage building and regret i didn’t get something better

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is becoming more complicated. Another guy I know who we do cows together was helping get my steer to the butcher today. I was telling him about my shop and the cost and stuff. He said I should really consider a pole barn kit. He showed me his 30x40x14 at his place. The kit came with everything except concrete and labor. All posts, trusses, girts, Perlins, metal etc AND roll insulation. For $12k. That’s $3k less than the one I’m about to pull the trigger on. Obviously this is smaller sq footage but it is 2’ tall and from a storage aspect that’s a lot. Plus it’s obviously more rigid and heavy duty. I’m getting pricing tomorrow or Tuesday to be sure but I’m leaning towards doing that now.

Do the Wood Pole Barn over that thin metal 2” It will save on labor on concrete too. Easy to set the forms yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom