Used/cheap shop building

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The insulation the guy said is R-30. It sounded too high a number but that’s what he said. And again the kit was $12k for all materials. So if I put it up myself then I’m saving all that labor cost. Concrete would be $1k cheaper with the smaller shop too.

Idk man. Being in construction I always hate seeing people drop high dollar for lesser quality. I have the skill and knowledge to do the labor myself and I just don’t want to get that metal garage building and regret i didn’t get something better

Oh, definitely go with the pole barn. I'm just saying that bubble insulation is nowhere worth what you'll pay. And it sure as hell ain't R30. You'll be lucky if it's R2. I've never heard of it advertised, even by the companies that sell it, as more than R7. Even that's a stretch.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.usbuildingsystems.com/products/agriculture.html
i put one of these up over 20 years ago. been very happy with it... if you give them a call sometimes you can save big and buy a kit they already have made
My father has always wanted to do a Quonset, but every time he priced them they were more costly (material alone) than a weld up/pole barn was erected (material + labor). They may be that much better if a product though in certain scenarios.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My father has always wanted to do a Quonset, but every time he priced them they were more costly (material alone) than a weld up/pole barn was erected (material + labor). They may be that much better if a product though in certain scenarios.
I don't know about that now but when i had mine built the quonset was much cheaper. maybe your dad was pricing a wood frame quonset? maybe things have changed?

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: I am waiting on pricing from a pole barn kit supplier. If their pricing for a 30x48 is less than $15k I’m going with them. Insulation or not. Quality will be much better and I believe value added to my property will be higher. My friend and concrete guy both explained the same way of getting posts set and setting it up and honestly it’s not complicated. My dad will help me put it up and it should go smoothly. Just hoping the price is right 😬

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: I am waiting on pricing from a pole barn kit supplier. If their pricing for a 30x48 is less than $15k I’m going with them. Insulation or not. Quality will be much better and I believe value added to my property will be higher. My friend and concrete guy both explained the same way of getting posts set and setting it up and honestly it’s not complicated. My dad will help me put it up and it should go smoothly. Just hoping the price is right 😬
I see ads from Sutherlands in our local coop electric paper for pole barn kits advertised in that price range. If you have a Sutherlands nearby, you might check with them as well.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

Up here in my part of the state, not sure if it’s done elsewhere, but…

Pour your concrete after the barn is erected and the tin is on. Makes it more mouse and rat proof.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Pour your concrete after the barn is erected and the tin is on. Makes it more mouse and rat proof.

In a lot of places that makes a big difference on the tax assessment. Pouring the slab and building on that puts the building in a higher tax class than it does pouring it inside once the building is up. It was that way in Idaho.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My builder poured a rat step into the concrete before erecting the building. No way even a spider can get past that other than through the door if left open.
Oh, did I mention the skunk that took residence after leaving the door open?

Latest posts

Top Bottom