Vacation ideas? Christmas week in Vermont? NH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a friend who lives in upstate NY had recommended a place called Killington, VT. He says they have stayed there and loved it.

We're looking for a place we can do a little bunny slope skiing, my son wants to snowboard, but that would be only a part-time thing. This isn't primarily a skiing trip, I've never skied before, and I think it'll be cool, but I'm not THAT into the cold and snow. I don't want to spend TOO much time on the slopes. I'm thinking 1-2 days. Would like to have some scenic areas to hang out, hit restaurants and diners, enjoy some local stuff - not sure what else there is to go in the NE in the wintertime, lol. We're not fancy peeps, a comfy cabin would be fine. I wouldn't mind being snowed in in the woods for a few days with some movies and good books, but The Wife doesn't like that idea.

We're looking at going around Dec 21st-28th or so. Flying in, probably Boston or something.

I know a lot of people are going to say stay closer, go to Colorado or New Mexico for skiing, but there's a reason we're going to the northeast. Have some family we want to meet up with who are going to be in Virginia on Christmas Day, so we're going to try to link up a few days before.

I want to experience some of the northeast winter scenery. I've heard great things about the people in VT and NH, etc. I'm looking at some AirBnB and VRBO rentals in the Killington area now, but I'm open to other areas, as well.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if the skiing weather is similar in the NE vs Colorado, but in the rockies, ski attire is light pants and a hoodie. T-shirts when the sun is shining. From the looks of the warden shows, it looks brutally cold that time of year. Snow always makes for a good xmas.

Vermont sounds like an incredible vacation. I've always wanted to visit Boston and eat in a 200 year old restaurant or walk through a 300 year old inn. Take in some history, etc...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, we won't be hanging out in the city. We'll be flying in, getting in a car and leaving. lol

Nothing against Boston, I guess, but I hate big cities (especially BIG cities) and I can't think of anything really in Boston I WANT to do... small inns and diners in rural areas are more attractive to me than that kind of stuff. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, maybe it would be great, but I just don't have much desire to hang out in the city. Any city, really, but who knows.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
We didn't venture very far inland when we went, we stayed along the coast of NH and Maine, except for a short visit into VT. The only thing to do in Boston is the Freedom Trail, Cheer's Bar and eat. The food is fantastic, but you can get 3x the food for the same price as soon as you leave Boston. Boston traffic was packed, but it flowed well and I'd rather drive there than nearly every other big city I've driven in. I didn't realize how small the New England area is, being able to drive to several states within an hours drive or less. Salem was a cool stop as well.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sipapu in New Mexico. I have read about this place for several years and thought about going. Affordable and supposedly family friendly. Seems really affordable. Much less costly than Winter Park in Colorado or Taos in NM. I think that are limited on the accommodations so the slopes are super busy. They make their own snow much of the ski season. Smaller mountain means less chance of getting lost from the family. All slopes end up near one spot at the base, where some ski places have a front side and back side of the mountain.

Looks like a 10.5 hr drive from Bartlesville or you could fly from Tulsa to Santa Fe, NM and rent a car. Santa Fe is a great destination town as well. Best green chile cheeseburger I've ever had was at a place called Shake Foundation in Santa Fe. Might even be able to do some trout fishing in the area at that time of the year.

https://www.sipapu.ski/lift-tickets-passes/lift-tickets/

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't know if the skiing weather is similar in the NE vs Colorado, but in the rockies, ski attire is light pants and a hoodie. T-shirts when the sun is shining. From the looks of the warden shows, it looks brutally cold that time of year. Snow always makes for a good xmas.

Vermont sounds like an incredible vacation. I've always wanted to visit Boston and eat in a 200 year old restaurant or walk through a 300 year old inn. Take in some history, etc...

Union Oyster House in Boston, 1826 if you like snot shots from the sea lol. Oysters had been out of the water less than 8 hours they said, good stuff.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could help tRitiot with this vacation. Sadly, my experience in the Northeast was a period of about 6 months west of Boston. I was in "school" for my MOS at Fort Devens, MA. While I did get to get out some and do some sightseeing, it was all based on hitchhiking, thus, I didn't get around much.

I was out in the woods some, but unfortunately, it was humping some military stuff, along with an M-14.

Latest posts

Top Bottom