Vacation question. Going to the beach.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. As is the Air Force Armament Museum outside of Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach area...

They are all close enough to include in a beach trip to that area. Beach, bombs, planes, and fishing!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. As is the Air Force Armament Museum outside of Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach area...

They are all close enough to include in a beach trip to that area. Beach, bombs, planes, and fishing!

Yep, I love Florida in general. If I ever won the lottery I'd have a vacation condo in Florida in a heartbeat.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forgot to mention; if you go to Pensacola, be sure to eat at Pegleg Pete's. Good stuff they got there.

If you're into military history, there is an old fort called Fort Pickens on the east end of Santa Rosa Island, due south of Navarre. Built in 1834 and occupied by Union forces until it closed after WWII. Confederates tried to take it and failed. You'll see what 6000 pounds of gunpowder will do to a fort when there is a fire in the magazine.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you want brown water or blue water?

A humorous question on the surface, but this is something you need to ask yourself.

I was in Galveston in July and it was the same as when I was there back in the early 90s. It's technically the ocean, it technically has sand, but by all means it's a pretty crummy beach. Good for wildlife exploring, as both times there were plenty of jellyfish floating in the water and washed ashore. Nothing horrible about it, it just lacks any wow factor. The sand is brown, the water is brown. It's like being at Lake Thunderbird except the waves are bigger.

Drive a little further south to Padre Island or Corpus Christi.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideals. I am going to try to start looking into some of these places. Have to find a place to stay. I am sure that the kids are going to want to be by the water.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideals. I am going to try to start looking into some of these places. Have to find a place to stay. I am sure that the kids are going to want to be by the water.

If you're seriously considering Pensacola, check out Portofino. That's where we stayed last time and will be returning in June.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Padre Island, Corpus, Port Aransas, Rockport, Matagorda ; all same general area and MUCH better than Galveston.

OP was choice of Galveston or Pensacola, others throwing out optional destinations in Florida and Texas. Somaeone finally mentioned Alabama, so I'll throw in Gulfport, MS. Great area, awesome fishing, not as crowded and tourist trap as Pens. or Galv. I would still take Rockport over any of the places mentioned. Enjoy your vacation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom