Vacation question. Going to the beach.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Padre Island, Corpus, Port Aransas, Rockport, Matagorda ; all same general area and MUCH better than Galveston.

OP was choice of Galveston or Pensacola, others throwing out optional destinations in Florida and Texas. Somaeone finally mentioned Alabama, so I'll throw in Gulfport, MS. Great area, awesome fishing, not as crowded and tourist trap as Pens. or Galv. I would still take Rockport over any of the places mentioned. Enjoy your vacation.

Thanks for all of the ideals. We are open for about anything.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been years seen I've been to Galveston, but it sounds like it hasn't changed.
Florida is much nicer, but I have to put in another vote for Alabama, specifically Gulfshores. The beach and water are similiar to Florida, but a much shorter drive (and generally cheaper housing).

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideals. We are open for about anything.

We lived 25 minutes from the beach at Galveston for 25 yrs. Went to Galveston 4-5 times in 25 yrs, only when family was visiting and wanted to go and we couldn't talk them into going someplace else.

Yes, the water is brown, Surfside, south end of Galveston, has a good beach, you can drive on the beach, and for fishing, a huge pier and rock jettys. Galveston you park and walk and walk and walk, 91st pier (crowded). The Strand is interesting and the girls would love it.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gulf Shores Alabama is very nice. Some of the clearest water I've seen in the USA. It's really grown in the past 15 years or so.

Coz (as in Cozumel?)

mikeyinokc

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anywhere in the Florida panhandle and the Alabama Gulf beats the Texas gulf without question!!!!!

If you go there go to Lulu's in Gulf Shores. Great restaurant owned by Jimmy Buffett's sister. From Gulf Shores and Orange Beach in Alabama to Destin in Florida is the whitest sand and prettiest water in the Gulf. If you go to Pensacola Beach be sure to go to Hemingway's for a meal....best seafood and moderate prices around.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gulf Shores and Perdido Key are good options if you don't want to go to Pensacola Beach, proper. I lived really close to Perdido for almost 2 years when I was in flight training at NAS Pensacola. GS and PK are basically the same beach, but one is in Alabama and one is in Florida. You'll never notice the transition while you drive by. Perdido is smaller than than PCola beach and more civilized. It's basically lined with condos and a few hotels, w/o the restaurants and tourist stuff. If you're military, you can also stay on NAS PCola. It has a beach and is about 15 mins from Perdido and 30 from PCola beach.

Pensacola isn't the nicest of towns when you get into it. It has some nice areas and gets very rough really fast. You won't get shot driving through, but it's not all palm trees and awesomeness. Going to PCola Beach will insulate you from that and moving farther east to Navarre/Destin would do the trick too. Staying in the vacation areas will also keep you clear.

If you do go to Pensacola, you have to eat at a few places. Check out Hub Stacys, Hip Pocket Deli (their gyros are the best), get fresh fish from Joe Patty's if you're going to cook, and there's a really good sushi buffet away from the beach, by the mall. It's called Nippon and it's awesome. I think you'll pay about $15/person and they take good care of you. There usually isn't much actually out on the buffet unless they're busy, so you just ask and they bring it to you. It's more of an all you can eat sushi restaurant with a buffet option. The Fish House is also a good place to check out. It's near downtown. Of course it's been mentioned, but I'll recommend the aviation museum again. It really is an awesome place to see. It's actually on the NAS, but the guards will give you directions. It's a shame the sequestration grounded the Blue Angels. They practiced every other day over NAS PCola while I was down there. It was a free airshow every day. Actually, they may not be grounded, so ask the gate guards when you roll in to see the museum. Takeoff was always at 0800, Tues and Thurs IIRC. The best view was over by the museum or back near the airfield, if they'll let you drive back there. I don't think you can, but ask.

okshooter45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would suggest about an hour and a half further than Pensacola to Panama City Beach. We have been there several times in the past few years. A ton of things for kids to do like snorkel at shell island, go carts, parasail, hang out at the beach. Lots of good restaurants. The new Pier Park is nice also. We stay at a high rise condo called Aqua that is directly on the beach.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the ideals guys. We are leaning towards the Gulf Shores / Orange Beach Alabama area. Anyone no the good and bad about this area? Good place to stay?

okshooter45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The beach at Gulf Shores was nice the last time I was there, but a lot of jellyfish. I guess that could be anywhere though. If you are not used to the Gulf of Mexico please be aware about the riptides, or undertow. It can be dangerous, just understand how it works, and how to get out if you get caught.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anywhere in the Florida panhandle and the Alabama Gulf beats the Texas gulf without question!!!!!

If you go there go to Lulu's in Gulf Shores. Great restaurant owned by Jimmy Buffett's sister. From Gulf Shores and Orange Beach in Alabama to Destin in Florida is the whitest sand and prettiest water in the Gulf. If you go to Pensacola Beach be sure to go to Hemingway's for a meal....best seafood and moderate prices around.

+1 on LuLu's I love that place...make a stop by there everytime I am in the area. The FloraBama bar is also a good local iconic location to visit...it sits right on the Florida/Alabama state line. Took some damage from a hurricane several years back...but was rebuilt and open last time I was there...

Latest posts

Top Bottom