Anyone been to Europe lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Particularly Scotland. My brother has been twice in the last 5 years and is bugging me to go with him and see where 'our people' came from. Supposedly my ancestors came from there. He came back with some great pictures of castles, green hills, and peat fields. I really have no desire to go, I could be wrong but the whole castle, distillery, kilt thing sounds boring as hell. My idea of vacation is always sand, heat, and salt water. My wife and I just got back from Hawaii last month and had a blast. If I went to Scotland it would just be me and my brother. The wife said go...have fun. And thats not sarcasm, she really means 'go...have fun'. It just doesn't sound like the end all, be all trip. Maybe I'm just an uncultured swine..and that's fine.
we just got back from a cruise from Lisbon Portugal last week - have been to Scotland and many other places in EU - Great places to visit - like an outdoor museum everywhere you go as you think about what it took to do that way back when -- you should go - about same flight time as Hawaii and WAY more cool things to see - use the Hop-on-Hop-off bus tours - cheap and very informative

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no desire to leave the USA.
I can't imagine feeling this way. Just like I can't understand the people that have never been out of Oklahoma with no plans to visit anywhere else. I'm not a world traveler like some of the people in this thread, but that's only because I'm too broke to be one. If I could afford it I would travel all the time. There is too much beauty and diversity in this world to trap yourself in one spot your while life.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we just got back from a cruise from Lisbon Portugal last week - have been to Scotland and many other places in EU - Great places to visit - like an outdoor museum everywhere you go as you think about what it took to do that way back when -- you should go - about same flight time as Hawaii and WAY more cool things to see - use the Hop-on-Hop-off bus tours - cheap and very informative
Will be in Lisbon next month and Porto. Any suggestions?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine feeling this way. Just like I can't understand the people that have never been out of Oklahoma with no plans to visit anywhere else. I'm not a world traveler like some of the people in this thread, but that's only because I'm too broke to be one. If I could afford it I would travel all the time. There is too much beauty and diversity in this world to trap yourself in one spot your while life.

I do not feel trapped and I have been all over the mid west. I have no desire to go East.
I feel most places hate Americans and staying here does not bore me and in fact that word (bore or bored) is never used by me. Like I am bored.

I never understood how someone can be bored.
I usually traveled in the US because there was a family member or a reunion i was going to attend and i seen the sights on the way there and on another path on the way back.

I have plenty of money if I want to travel but I just do not want to just like I hate a cell phone and wish I never have to own one and I wish I never have to own a car with an electronic key or even a key fob that unlocks the doors.

Thanks but I can unlock my door with a regular key and just do not need some more failure prone electronics to help me out with it.
I do not want my cars to automatically lock my doors and I do not want any speaker in the house that you can talk to and that asks you questions.
My son put a digital key pad door knob thing on my rent house and left it after he moved out.
I smashed it on the driveway along with the alarm system he left.
Hate Hate Hate failure prone electronic gizmos. Good old brass door knob lasts many decades.
Hard to improve upon that.

Old fashioned hermit I might be.
Probably drives the wife crazy as she likes to go places and likes new stuff that she does not get from me .
I still have counters in the house from 1974 when the house was built.
Not broke then don't fix it.

But we all think differently and I have no qualms with someone updating or traveling.
Just not my cup of tea.
I would rather go to the woods or a lake and enjoy the sound of frogs and crickets and the tug on my fishing line.

:)

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not feel trapped and I have been all over the mid west. I have no desire to go East.
I feel most places hate Americans and staying here does not bore me and in fact that word (bore or bored) is never used by me. Like I am bored.

I never understood how someone can be bored.
I usually traveled in the US because there was a family member or a reunion i was going to attend and i seen the sights on the way there and on another path on the way back.

I have plenty of money if I want to travel but I just do not want to just like I hate a cell phone and wish I never have to own one and I wish I never have to own a car with an electronic key or even a key fob that unlocks the doors.

Thanks but I can unlock my door with a regular key and just do not need some more failure prone electronics to help me out with it.
I do not want my cars to automatically lock my doors and I do not want any speaker in the house that you can talk to and that asks you questions.
My son put a digital key pad door knob thing on my rent house and left it after he moved out.
I smashed it on the driveway along with the alarm system he left.
Hate Hate Hate failure prone electronic gizmos. Good old brass door knob lasts many decades.
Hard to improve upon that.

Old fashioned hermit I might be.
Probably drives the wife crazy as she likes to go places and likes new stuff that she does not get from me .
I still have counters in the house from 1974 when the house was built.
Not broke then don't fix it.

But we all think differently and I have no qualms with someone updating or traveling.
Just not my cup of tea.
I would rather go to the woods or a lake and enjoy the sound of frogs and crickets and the tug on my fishing line.

Amen!

And those pesky places outside the country want you to bow down and get a passport and will not let you carry your favorite pistol in their country!

I say right there they do not need me or my money setting foot on their stinking soil!

There are way more beautiful places than I could ever see right in the good ole USA!

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just not my cup of tea.

I have no qualms with someone not wanting to travel, I just don't understand it. 😁 😁 Kinda like you not understanding electronic advancements. 😆 😆

I, also, would rather go to the woods or lakes as well. I'd just like some of those woods and lakes being places other than Oklahoma on occasion.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a teen, I had an advanced case of over-the-horizon fever, and itchy feet. Enlisted in the USAF in 1973 to get out of Los Angeles County, Ca., and got to see glorius Clovis, NM. NOT exactly what I was looking for. ;) Then to NW Florida, Las Vegas, NV, the Republic of Turkey, back to NW Florida, back to Turkey, then South Carolina, with a short sojourn in Saudi Arabia (made me appreciate Clovis!) and on to Germany. From there to here. Ran back and forth around the southern US and a bit in Colorado for assorted schools for Uncle Sam, and was trying to get dropped off in Texas, but found we liked it very much here. If I win the lottery, I'd go back to NW Florida. Let SWMBO spend the rest of her life on the beach. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy here, but how do you know where you want to stay if you've never seen anywhere else?

I love it here, except for the hot summers and cold winters, but there are benefits to offset those minor details!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been to 21 of the US states by car and I am happy here.
If I had a dream spot it would probably be in a small house on the Arkansas river navigation system Deeper water ya know. Gore OK area or something like that.
I am easy to please.

Latest posts

Top Bottom