Video Surveillance Systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there was a thread a few years back about these, but I can't seem to find them with the search function, so I thought I'd post again.

Looking for an 8-10 camera setup and I know the technology has changed quite a bit over just the last few years, so what's the good/bad on the camera systems that are out there for home security?

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pm Tyromeo55 (Tyler) and he can tell you what's the best and how to go about doing it. I think Reddog1 also installs these as his primary job.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Axis Communications has recently introduced a platform named 'Axis Camera Companion' that permits free recording and free remote visibility of cameras, with no NVR or headend server required. Early testing is pretty impressive for a 'free' software. The cameras locally record video to SD storage cards you insert into the camera. SDHC cards are supported, which places a max card size at 32 GB per camera.

Axis is pricey, but doesn't make junk, and produces top of the line stuff. If you can wait a month or two, they have just announced several new 'value line' models: M1043-W, M1044-W that are going to be sub-$250 and sub-$300 cameras respectively.

In any case, even if you do not buy Axis stuff it is important to recognize they are the market leader in this business, and many manufacturers are going to follow suit. The cost of buying a video surveillance system now will be dramatically different in 6 or 8 months time.

Disclosure: I work for IPVM.com

Last edited by a moderator:

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Axis Communications has recently introduced a platform named 'Axis Camera Companion' that permits free recording and free remote visibility of cameras, with no NVR or headend server required. Early testing is pretty impressive for a 'free' software. The cameras locally record video to SD storage cards you insert into the camera. SDHC cards are supported, which places a max card size at 32 GB per camera.

Vivotek has been doing this for years. Both are good cameras for the money. I dont know about Axis but Vivotek also offers an Iphone app. you need to know networks fairly well to be able to set them up but that is only a one time deal

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vivotek has been doing this for years. Both are good cameras for the money. I dont know about Axis but Vivotek also offers an Iphone app. you need to know networks fairly well to be able to set them up but that is only a one time deal

Vivotek doesn't allow you to retrieve locally stored video without having a VMS (viewing software) installed on a locally networked computer. Functionally close, but not the same, and potentially a very expensive difference.
Just about any cheap DVR or IP company has an iPhone and Android viewing app these days, so the march of progress is on our side on this one.

wilson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Zmodo cameras and dvrs? Ive seen them on the daily deal websites like woot and dailysteals but havent bought one yet. Anyone tried them out?

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Zmodo cameras are generally pretty poor in low light, and you buy the hard disks separately from the DVR. Most people hate the user interface.
In our tests, the DVR card gave up the ghost after eight months.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My home security system starts snapping pictures when it's tripped but at $200 per motion sensor camera that could be quite expensive to cover your house, we got 2 IS and all our doors and windows along with the panel for free by a company moving into the oklahoma market.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My home security system starts snapping pictures when it's tripped but at $200 per motion sensor camera that could be quite expensive to cover your house, we got 2 IS and all our doors and windows along with the panel for free by a company moving into the oklahoma market.

And the company is?

Latest posts

Top Bottom