Video Surveillance Systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvPete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Zmodo cameras and dvrs? Ive seen them on the daily deal websites like woot and dailysteals but havent bought one yet. Anyone tried them out?

I have one I bought on woot for $100 + a $70 hard drive. It serves it's purpose. Cameras are not great in low light, but not horrible either. Great for seeing who is at the door before actually going to the door, or for generally seeing what is happening around the house from one interface.

The dvr interface is a little clunky, but I don't hate it and don't have any problems with it. Works from any web browser, or from dedicated applications on my pc, iPad, or android tablet.

I didn't have unrealistic expectations for it, so I am pleased with it for its intended use. If nothing else, it's been a great inexpensive trial unit for me to see what I really want in a surveillance system before dropping big bucks on one.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vivotek doesn't allow you to retrieve locally stored video without having a VMS (viewing software) installed on a locally networked computer. Functionally close, but not the same, and potentially a very expensive difference.
Just about any cheap DVR or IP company has an iPhone and Android viewing app these days, so the march of progress is on our side on this one.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here but you are just flat wrong. On the Vivotek ( ones that offer SD support on board which is quite a few) you can take the SD card out of the unit and just pop it in a computer and play the files with Windows media player or QuickTime (obviously your going to need the right Codec) OR, you can log right into the the camera via it's IP on your network and watch the video's streamed right into IE. Frankly I think it is a joke. Best case scenario ya encode on the Biggest card money can buy..... you use the IO to trigger recording using a REAL motion to limit false ticks and get a good record time THEN some little bastard steals the camera like they are doing over on 81st and your Video is GONE...... If you have the green to play, IP cameras are great. But for the guy that just needs a few. When it boils down to it. EVERYONE has a spare computer that will tolerate a couple of cameras and a 1TB drive is cheaper then buying -4- 32GB cards and holds a heck of a lot more video ..... AXIS makes great cameras and at a good price point. other companies make nice cameras too and most of them do it cheaper allowing people more cameras in the same budget. Just my 2Cts

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was looking at this setup:

http://www.amazon.com/Swann-SWDVK-8...8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334672416&sr=1-8

Oh, and this isn't for my home, but for a friend of mine who owns a local business and I'm helping him out. He's not big enough that he can afford monitored security, but he's had a few strange occurrences and wants to take some preventative measures.

Most important to him is the ability to separate (and hide) the storage of video from the cameras (in case of camera theft) and remote access via his iPhone.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here but you are just flat wrong. On the Vivotek ( ones that offer SD support on board which is quite a few) you can take the SD card out of the unit and just pop it in a computer and play the files with Windows media player or QuickTime (obviously your going to need the right Codec) OR, you can log right into the the camera via it's IP on your network and watch the video's streamed right into IE. Frankly I think it is a joke. Best case scenario ya encode on the Biggest card money can buy..... you use the IO to trigger recording using a REAL motion to limit false ticks and get a good record time THEN some little bastard steals the camera like they are doing over on 81st and your Video is GONE...... If you have the green to play, IP cameras are great. But for the guy that just needs a few. When it boils down to it. EVERYONE has a spare computer that will tolerate a couple of cameras and a 1TB drive is cheaper then buying -4- 32GB cards and holds a heck of a lot more video ..... AXIS makes great cameras and at a good price point. other companies make nice cameras too and most of them do it cheaper allowing people more cameras in the same budget. Just my 2Cts

I don't think you're understanding what I'm pointing out is different. (It's not a pissing contest, don't worry! :) )

1. SD storage onboard cameras is not unique.
2. Live viewing of cameras by way of smartphone app or webpage is not unique.
3. Combining the two, so that video stored on SD storage can be seen remotely by way of free app or webpage (remote from the local LAN) is quite unique. Vivotek does not support (nor has roadmapped development) anything like this.

Hi Brian,

Something like the Axis Camera Companion is being discussed, but is not officially on the road map. At this point in time, there are no discussions around adding a third party VMS to our on-board storage. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Regards,

Scott Spurlock
Vivotek USA
Tel: 408-773-8686
Fax: 408-773-8298

Taking the SD card out of the camera to retrieve video is cumbersome and probably pointless, considering most video is encoded in a proprietary CODEC. I don't think a single manufacturer recommends pulling video off a card by removing it from the camera.You would be able to see the files are there, but unable to view them or do much with them without some crafty transcoding or downloading additional viewers. However, like you point out, if somebody steals the camera then the storage is gone too. Not good!

Like any security system, there will always be ways to defeat it. I agree with you, in many cases, a legit DVR or NVR is going to be necessary. For a dude trying to keep surveillance tabs on his front door, shop building, and dog pen, then the Axis system I mentioned above in a novel FREE option. If you aren't comfortable with it, and feel better about redundancy, then there are better alternatives.

I agree with just about everything you wrote, especially about cheaper alternatives performing great, even with 'repurposed' computer head ends. I just wanted to clarify the ACC point. Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom