Watch the ads on Marketplace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking thru the car ads on Facebook marketplace. See a Honda CrV for $1200 in OKC. Send a message asking if available, clean title, etc. Get a reply to text an email to a email account. Keep looking and find the same car listed in Dallas, Austin, Kansas city, etc, etc, etc. Different names of owners but same email account. Be careful on Marketplace folks.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw the same looking at a travel trailer. Got a response immediately with some BS about selling it for a family member and to contact them at an email address that was bogus. So I messaged again and told them their email link didn't work. Never heard a word after that.

Then seen the same item (same pics) listed in about 20 different cities. I don't even know how the scam is supposed to work. They're going to be disappointed if they spoof my email! :rollingla

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
usually a tell tell sign is if the return message comes back within less than a min and it looks like they wrote you a novel about some poor me issue it a hoax.
Hell I got a call on my house phone yesterday and some guy says hello, I respond (duh) hello, and he's like hey grampa, LOL my only two grandsons do not call me grandpa and one was in class it his HS and the other one is in his Vo-tech welding class......They never give up trying to scam people.....

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking thru the car ads on Facebook marketplace. See a Honda CrV for $1200 in OKC. Send a message asking if available, clean title, etc. Get a reply to text an email to a email account. Keep looking and find the same car listed in Dallas, Austin, Kansas city, etc, etc, etc. Different names of owners but same email account. Be careful on Marketplace folks.
Good luck finding a decent car in that range. I’ve seen ads asking for a deposit to hold. Lol

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a Craigs list ad for a 4 wheeler that looked like new and had a steal price. Said I'd take it. It was in Cushing. Said I could be there in 1.5 hours with cash.
Then got a reply that unfortunately they had to move unexpectedly and had to ship it to New York City for Storage.
Yep, scam, so I played.
Sent another email that fortunately for me, I was going to be in New York City on business the next day and would like to inspect the unit and have it shipped to my home at my expense.
No further replies.
I think it's still listed on that POS market place.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GF saw an add that was supposed to be from her distant Aunt in Arkansas selling her car cheep late one evening and responded to it. Quick response back on FB was that "she" asked for a deposit by WM Money Transfer first thing the next morning to hold it for her. GF Called her Aunt the next morning. Yep her account had been hacked and it was a scam.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of scammers on market place. I have sold cars and a variety of stuff there so just do your due diligence

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, some of the scammers only want your email address or phone number for some reason. I responded once to a very good buy on an RV and the return message was that they were in the Army and couldn't leave the post to show the RV but their aunt had the RV and I should contact her because it's in her name.

Latest posts

Top Bottom