Water barrels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a question for you guys/gals. While I wouldn't consider myself to be a hardcore prepper, I do think a lot about what we'd do if a big twister leveled our home or if the grocery stores suddenly emptied out. Over the last year or so, we've been stockpiling food and I'm pretty confident that I could feed the two of us for six months.

My problem is water. My last home had a swimming pool and my emergency water supply plan involved using the 40,000 gallons that it provided. But, my new home has nothing like that. I have no water well and if my rural water district stops pumping water to me, I'm out. Driving to/from the closest lake doesn't sound like a workable plan, nor does waiting for rain.

I'm thinking about adding a couple of water barrels to my (outdoor) underground storm shelter. A pair of food-grade 55 gallon barrels would sure go a long way to helping, if the water flow stops. Theoretically, I could rig up a way to collect rain water as well and use it to top off my barrels.

One of my big concerns is freezing. Over the last ten years, we've had some very cold winters here. I'm wondering how much cold a 55 gallon barrel of water could take before it burst. I could leave some expansion room in the water level, but I'm just not sure how well an emergency supply of water would do in barrels outside--underground, but still outside. I could try to insulate them somehow, but I'm not sure how much that would really help if it's sub-zero for a few days/weeks.

Any ideas on this? I have no room in the house to store my water supply. So if I do something, I've got to make it sub-zero temperature capable. Thoughts?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever noticed you underground shelter getting below freezing? The ground rarely freezes deeper than 12" here. On a shelter like mine, the door is the quickest loss of heat (basically ground temp). I could probably put fasten some rolled fiberglass insulation up if I was too concerned about freezing temps.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bassin', I have no idea how cold it gets down there. It's a buried, concrete unit with a steel door and a little turbine vent on top. We haven't had a really cold winter since we've had it. I hadn't thought about there being warmth down there. Interesting. I may put a thermometer down there to measure the difference between six-feet down and surface temps.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you decide to buy some try Big Eds in Okarche. He has a huge stack of them. I bought two 30 gal from him. I'm not sure I'd worry about them freezing so much. Leave a few inches of air at the top. I've also seen them on Craig's list.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about freezing, it''ll store much longer if it is frozen. It would be a problem if it was frozen when you needed it though. Just leave some room for expansion.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine stays pretty cool in summer, especially away from the steel door. It might get 75 in the hot of the day in the summer. In the winter I haven't ever seen it below 45. Mom used to store canned food down there.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sounds like your turning into a prepper, lol. I dont think freezing and bursting will happen underground. As for treating or how long water can be stored, im not sure enough to help.

I would treat and cycle every 3-4 months. Id also get a pool or build a goldfish pond. And add a couple of rain barrels.

Welcome to the planning prepared society of OSA.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do your water pipes freeze to your house when buried underground? Usually pipes freeze in an exterior wall or underneath a trailer house. Water in a below ground cellar will be ok. Waterlines are usually buried only 18"-24" deep.

Latest posts

Top Bottom