Water barrels?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A hot tub is a good water source. I think mine holds a little over 900 gallons. I bought an ozonator with it which cleans the water to 99.9% clean of water born pathogens. You only have to ad a cap of chlorine each month. Very low maintanence.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I ordered a blue plastic 55 gallon water barrel this morning from Emergency Essentials. I also ordered a siphon hose and some purifying chemicals from them. From another outfit, I ordered a 50' drinking-water-safe hose that will let me get water to my bunker from my faucet. (Okay, it's not a bunker, but I do enjoy frustrating my wife by calling it that.)

I think I'll make a little insulated box for it out of ridgid foam. It may not be needed, but couldn't hurt. Thanks for all the ideas and advice.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought.... If you store the barrels upright and you lose power you'll need some kind of manual pump. We used a hand pump similar to this for pumping drums offshore on satellite platforms that had no power. Inexpensive, reliable and effective.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a thought.... If you store the barrels upright and you lose power you'll need some kind of manual pump.

Yep. Wondered about that. So I ordered a little siphon hose with the barrel. My only concern is my plan to empty the barrel, clean the insides and refill it annually. It will take a long time to empty with that siphon hose. I may need to buy some sort of electric or crank pump for it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know if you install a plastic bib in the barrel bung and lay it on a barrel rack you will not have to worry about decanting the water out. No siphon hose, just turn the tap and you have water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom