Weed eater/string trimmer decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with the Kobalt 24V 1/2” impact gun to keep in the truck. Haven’t found a lug nut yet it won’t break loose.
Thought it met its match with a 7/8” stud and a 1 1/4” lug nut on a military trailer I have that I’m sure hasn’t been removed since the 70’s. Tires rotted and had to be replaced. It hammered and hammered, finally breaking all of them loose on a single charge.
Now that I know about the battery replacement, I’m even more impressed.
What is odd to me is that their batteries aren't cheaper the bigger you buy. Their 2AH is $20, the 4AH is $50 and the 6AH is $99. Heck I will buy 2 2AH over 1 4AH all day. The 2AH will drive atleast 100 3" wood screws on a charge. What am I missing? The Amp Hour just run pertains to time, right?

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh....I’ll take a Lawn Boy mower and a stihl or echo all day long....wish I could find another lawn boy mover that was a beast. this Echo trimmer was 300 bucks with the edger, 6 years straight with out a problem. The neighbors have replaced their toro 4 strokes at least 3 times since I bough this one. But I am not a fan of battery power, it’s not helping the environment when you consider what battery production in the equation

Well after saying this I realized the Honda hasn’t given me a lick of trouble in 7 years

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is odd to me is that their batteries aren't cheaper the bigger you buy. Their 2AH is $20, the 4AH is $50 and the 6AH is $99. Heck I will buy 2 2AH over 1 4AH all day. The 2AH will drive atleast 100 3" wood screws on a charge. What am I missing? The Amp Hour just run pertains to time, right?
Yes AH is Amp Hours its a measurement of capacity of the battery. So a 4AH will have 2x the capacity of a 2AH. It also should weight more as it will contain either more cells or higher quality cells with more capacity. The higher price is due to convince of a single battery for the tool. If the battery is not substantially larger then it can be because of higher capacity cells in the battery if its larger its due to adding more batteries in parallel to add capacity. This link shows 18650 batteries which are common in hand tool battery packs. You will see difference in capacity for the same size battery but the larger capacity is also more expensive along with where they are manufactured Japanese cells will be premium how much of a load they can with stand and other things all play into the cost. So a 1600 mAh will have half the capacity of a 3200mAh.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a gas powered trimmer but switched to a Dewalt 20v trimmer and have had no problems at all. No cords stretched across the yard and the batteries last a long time. I have. drill the uses the same batteries as well as. blower. If you forget them and leave them in the charger it's no a big deal because the batteries don't have. memory-kind of how I'm getting.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a gas powered trimmer but switched to a Dewalt 20v trimmer and have had no problems at all. No cords stretched across the yard and the batteries last a long time. If you forget them and leave them in the charger it's no a big deal because the batteries don't have. memory-kind of how I'm getting.
On the topic of battrees and chargers and since I can derail a thread with the best of em.......yesterday I sent my wife to town to buy me a new hotshot cattle prod. I'd already spoke to my buddy that works at the store a few times pricing different options. I decided I was going all out and buying first class. The HotShot Duraprod has been out 10yrs now and I've wanted one since they came out. They have a rechargeable battree pack and are much more durable than the other options. I haven't wanted to spend the $160 on one and I pick up the cheaper ones folks throw in the trash, fix em and use em till they break again. Sometimes they last a couple months and sometimes they quit before they start. Anyhow, wife brings home the new one and I read up on the structions that came with it. They say the battree won't be damaged by leaving it on the charger for an extended period of time. That's great. But it also says the battree charger runs for 16hrs and then the blinking light turns solid and the charger stops charging. If you take the battree off the charger and put it right back on the timer resets and she runs another 16hrs. Sooo it don't matter if the battree is fresh or dead the charger goes for 16hrs. I sure wish it just shut off when the battree was full or there was some battree level checkerizer on it or something.

Rant off and thread derailment now complete!

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

AH is the run time with a load, so a 2ah battery will run one hour at 2 amps, if you run that same battery at 1 amp it will last 2 hours and so forth, it all depends on AH and what kind of load you will put on it. For me I go with the highest AH battery I can afford, get longer run times with light load amps on them.

Depending on what lowes you are at or near depends what models they carry, most popular with my store is the 40volt, one is cost two is the cost of battery replacements its cheaper at about 80 bucks vs the 80 volt at 150. If you look on the lowes site put in what store you want will show what they have in stock, they DO NOT update the on hand count so if it gets down to say 3 in store count on it being 0, if it says estimated arrival date means its a special order we can get it in 3-7 days, at one time kobalt had a 80 volt with dual batteries not sure if they still offer that model or not.

Just so you know the whole craftsman 60 volt line is going clearance, craftsman is dropping it due to lack of sales and interest from customers, if you want a good deal on a cordless equipment look at the craftsman 60 volt line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom