Weird parking lot accident.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't see it happening except in rare circumstances. I've seen too many people left holding the bag because the at-fault insured party just ignores them. Especially if no police report was filed in a minor fender bender.

Agreed, It doesn't happen except in rare cases, but as I work in the industry and see thousands of claims a year, I just wish to point out the finer details of the business.

:)

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the new law went into place last November that if you dont have insurance on a vehicle and get into an accident that you are not able to file a claim against someones else insurance carrier. I need to find that as I thought was something that went into effect here recently.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought the new law went into place last November that if you dont have insurance on a vehicle and get into an accident that you are not able to file a claim against someones else insurance carrier. I need to find that as I thought was something that went into effect here recently.

You can file a claim for special damages, meaning quantifiable monetary losses. Damage to your vehicle, rental car expense, medical bills, etc. The "no pay, no play" laws mean you cannot claim general damages, meaning intangible losses such as pain and suffering.

It's a tort reform deal.

Personally, I disagree with it and think it is unconstitutional (at the State level at least, as the State primarily governs our Insurance and personal injury tort laws). And I even work in insurance.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would police respond to a private property parking lot fender ding?

As was said,private property,no injuries= no police response.

Actually if you call police in OKC, they will send an officer out. Used to be a civil matter in those cases, but changed it. Now the officer that comes out may not make a report and just facilitate an exchange of insurance info.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually if you call police in OKC, they will send an officer out. Used to be a civil matter in those cases, but changed it. Now the officer that comes out may not make a report and just facilitate an exchange of insurance info.

PD has no jurisdiction over civil matters on private property.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say USAA seems to always pay. I hope that isn't who you are insured through. They don't seem to require you to be at fault, or the claim to be legitimately valid and they will pay.

Man I was thinking this, but with progressive, and USAA being the exact opposite, I had Progressive pay on a claim where the POLICE REPORT HAD ME NOT AT FAULT!!! And when I explained that to my USAA rep, they actually laughed into the phone regarding the ridiculousness of the circumstance...

Latest posts

Top Bottom