Well, lets see em!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup, this one was eating chickens :mad:

Exemptions from Regulations
Nothing in this regulation prevents the killing of furbearers actually found destroying livestock or poultry.

Yeah, but didja "actually find" it eating chickens? :lookaroun

I've had three different cats within spitting distance in the last 2 weeks. 2 of them were big ones.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy came out around 4:45 pm on Wednesday afternoon about 500 yards away from me. Luckily, a doe was only 200 yards away down in the river bottom which got this buck's attention. He came running after her and cut the distance in no time. I had time to get over the buck fever by the time he reached 200 yards. I gave him an "Eh" to stop him for a good broadside shot but got no reactiion. Did it quickly two more times and finally had to throw an all out yell at him. He finally stopped and I settled the crosshairs on him and dropped him like a rock. He had 11 scorable points, weighed 188 lbs field dressed, and is currently at Skulls Unlimited for a skull mount. Very unique buck with that crazy extra tine coming out of the base of his left antler.

Awesome rack! That extra beam is very unique, and should make for a great skull mount. Congrats!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, but didja "actually find" it eating chickens? :lookaroun

I've had three different cats within spitting distance in the last 2 weeks. 2 of them were big ones.

I understand what you are saying and I'm with ya, I don't kill stuff for sake of killing - "it's coming right for us" is just not my style.

The way I understand "actually found" is "beyond reasonable doubt." 8 chickens are missing, dogs make sure that skunks, coons and coyotes stay away from the house. We usually don't have bobcats on the property, and chickens don't disappear for no reason either. If I had any doubt that this guy moved in next to chicken pen for other reason than our chickens, I wouldn't have killed it.

I'll check with wildlife department - to make sure that my interpretation is correct.

My apologies if you found my behavior unsportsmanlike - I do my best to follow the rules/laws to a tee.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a good weekend...already posted the hero pics of the thanksgiving buck the Lord blessed us with. And it kept getting better from then on out.

Shot a little antlerless deer Thanksgiving night. I did not bother to take pictures. lol..(honestly I felt like crap at the time about it) all I can say is I haven't taken many deer from a tree stand and my perception gets a bit skewed when I am up there. But now that I have had a bit of practice at it, well...I have gotten better. So anyhow, I was worried about the wind Saturday and when I woke up to check the weather, we almost didn't go. But the forecast had improved a little and the gusts didn't look to be as bad. So we (my wife and I) started out Saturday in my stand. Bit windy...but more wet than anything else. We didn't see anything, and I gave her all the rain gear that day. I was soaked and things were looking pretty bleak. Well, we decided to get down about 8 and check my camera. Nothing...I was a bit baffled by it, as I had put it over a scrape, but nothing was checking it at all. I decided it was time to move the camera. 20 pictures in 2 weeks and only one buck that was chasing in the middle of the night. We decided to move it to some major trails where I had found scrapes rubs and tracks, and had a homemade tube type gravity feeder attached to a tree. When we get to the spot she decided to sit by a blow down as I walked in. I was fine with that as it would only take a few minutes. I was only gone for maybe a minute when a shot rang out not twenty yards from me. Was my unmistakably high pitched Remington model 742 autoloader chambered in .243. I didn't even get the camera hung yet. I came running out and saw my wife still sitting with the gun readied looking off into the brush. Turned out I busted a little doe up and she pretty much ran straight at my wife. Perfect double lung shot with a 100 grain sierra game king bullet. Made a mess of her insides. I gutted my wife's first deer as I told her I would. Hugs and smiles and little girly dances a plenty.

Took her to my Mothers house for processing as that is where we do all that, and picked up my little girl to go shopping for the boys Christmas gifts. Went to bass pro, were out of stock of everything we were looking for, but picked up a set of insulated water resistant Wall's coveralls for me. Got a call from my step dad on our way out to the car. We got a hog trapped...he wants my wife to shoot it. SCORE! This was harder than her shooting the deer. I didn't really like his scope as it was a bit hard to put it where we needed to with the crosshairs it had. He insisted we shoot it between the eyes with a .22 mag and that little booger knew we were there. Kept running in circles and she kept hitting the trap fence. Before it was said and done, she had shot him in the ear, I shot him right in the nose (which slowed him down) and she finally put him down with a lethal shot behind the ear. It was fun regardless though. Sorry about the crappy pic.

Then last night I tagged out with this big girl. I couldn't believe how huge she was. I bet she was a 130 lb field dressed doe. Had two other big does with her coming into a corn pile and my wife will probably be hunting this tripod Friday and Saturday.

Man! you and your wife had one heck of a hunt! :D Congrats on getting her into it. Wish my wife would go with me. Your a lucky man.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got out this morning in the 24 degree temps. It was dead calm, and everything was coated in frost, making it easy to spot moving deer. Saw several a ways off, and just enjoyed the view with the binoculars. Pheasants were coming up out of the grass, hawks were hunting, so overall it was a great start.
Spotted three does coming down the strip of cottonwood trees, and waited on them.
Couple of years ago, I bought a Rem R-15, and put a Nikon Coyote scope on it, with the Bullet Drop Compensator.
I've never trusted those BDC's, and memorize the ballistics tables for the caliber I'm carrying.
I had some factory Remmington 55 grain PSP ammo, and with the does getting into the 200 yd range, decided to use the BDC for the first time.
She hit an opening, stopped to nibble, and I used the 200 yd circle high on the front shoulder. BOOM! I watched her through the scope drop like she had been hit with a hammer. DAMM it works! Now I want to set up some targets at 300 + and see how it prints. It hit right at the point of aim.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_97e11f3b.jpg

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Got out this morning in the 24 degree temps. It was dead calm, and everything was coated in frost, making it easy to spot moving deer. Saw several a ways off, and just enjoyed the view with the binoculars. Pheasants were coming up out of the grass, hawks were hunting, so overall it was a great start.
Spotted three does coming down the strip of cottonwood trees, and waited on them.
Couple of years ago, I bought a Rem R-15, and put a Nikon Coyote scope on it, with the Bullet Drop Compensator.
I've never trusted those BDC's, and memorize the ballistics tables for the caliber I'm carrying.
I had some factory Remmington 55 grain PSP ammo, and with the does getting into the 200 yd range, decided to use the BDC for the first time.
She hit an opening, stopped to nibble, and I used the 200 yd circle high on the front shoulder. BOOM! I watched her through the scope drop like she had been hit with a hammer. DAMM it works! Now I want to set up some targets at 300 + and see how it prints. It hit right at the point of aim.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_97e11f3b.jpg

Dennis, you can go to Nikon's website and print off the BDC chart for the particular round that you are using and the model of scope you have. Each circle is marked with the approximate yardage. I did this for both my weatherbys and they seem to be pretty accuate up to around 450 (I haven't tried it at farther distances). I keep the chart tucked inside the ammo holder for quick reference in the field.

How's that R-15 treating you? I've had my eye on one of those, but can't find one cheap enough to pull the trigger just yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom