Wen generators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for one that takes natural gas as well. Have the capped gas line on the patio for the grill. Seems more convenient, assuming the gas stays on during a power failure.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
the tri fuel generators are definitely rare, especially an inverter generator. i've found old school ones that run on natural gas, but not ones that i would trust to not fry my computer.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dual-fuel Champion from Atwoods powered 4 computers, security cameras, UHD TV, Stereo, Routers, hot tub, refrigerator, and a lot of other stuff during the Great Freeze Out of '21 and it all still works just fine. I am starting to doubt some of the marketing hype for inverter generators. Having said that, I am currently in the market for a smaller portable Inverter generator that can run a lot longer on a lot less fuel. I had a 20 year old Honda e2000i that I ran for over 500 hours after Hurricane Michael, but I gave it to my son when I bought the larger Champion. I thought I was going to get another Honda, but if I can get similar features and performance at a lower price, I would probably do it. This thread is coming at a good time for me, because I am ready to buy.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest you look at a gen that’s already dual fuel - it’s really nice being able to pull out a 20-lb bottle of propane that’s been sitting for years, and not worry about the fuel being bad. Less efficient, yes, but I think it’s a very good trade-off.
Great point. With these 2k watt generators, there isn't much difference in efficiency by going dual fuel, either

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the tri fuel generators are definitely rare, especially an inverter generator. i've found old school ones that run on natural gas, but not ones that i would trust to not fry my computer.

I got a tri-fuel from Firman at Costco. High ratings, it should do what I need it to. Duromax has good reviews as well, and has several dual fuel models as well.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My dual-fuel Champion from Atwoods powered 4 computers, security cameras, UHD TV, Stereo, Routers, hot tub, refrigerator, and a lot of other stuff during the Great Freeze Out of '21 and it all still works just fine. I am starting to doubt some of the marketing hype for inverter generators. Having said that, I am currently in the market for a smaller portable Inverter generator that can run a lot longer on a lot less fuel. I had a 20 year old Honda e2000i that I ran for over 500 hours after Hurricane Michael, but I gave it to my son when I bought the larger Champion. I thought I was going to get another Honda, but if I can get similar features and performance at a lower price, I would probably do it. This thread is coming at a good time for me, because I am ready to buy.
you are probably right but i literally cannot afford to lose files i have. yes i have backups, but i have files that without getting into it simply cannot be created ever again.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wen is 531.

You should be able to get the Wen for around $400 shipped, no tax if you catch one of their sales. If you can afford to wait then definitely monitor sites like slickdeals.net for when it goes on sale. (you can set up a "deal alert" on the site and just use the keyword WEN to catch deals)

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah the ~2200 portable inverter gennies should run $400. prrreeeeeettty sure the wen and the a-ipower use the same yamaha motors. the predators from harbor freight use yamaha motors. i know champion is a us company, but i'm pretty sure they source chinese parts as well, i don't have any first hand experience with one so i'm not sure. but i would guess they use......yamaha motors.

if you are buying chinese stuff, i don't think you should be paying much more than that. i got two for under $800, they were light enough to easily pick up and put in the cart, running parallel i can get ~4000 watts. i'm sure paying the same amount for one larger generator, especially a dual fuel option, is a more ideal situation. i kinda took what i could get, but i definitely see the same generator going for more when they aren't on sale.

nice thing about the wens and a-ipower is they don't require an additional parallel kit, they should come ready with available wires. tho admittedly, the wires to run them on mine seemed...really thin gauge. but they certainly work. having two gennies seemed like a good option for camping and whatnot when i might not need both and/or a larger one.

if i were in a more fixed situation, i would definitely opt for something that could be wired into a transfer switch so you could run your hardwired stuff like hvac and oven/stove. i'm forced to plug a lot of things and while it works, it certainly isn't optimum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom