Wendy's drive thru

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And...the first thing you do after paying before driving away is CHECK YOUR ORDER!

It's not because of honesty issues it's because of incompetence.

There have been times when I've pulled up to a sonic and thought I should just push the red button and tell them to bring me something, cause I ain't gonna get what I order anyway.

Meh, they're HS kids. What's frustrating is they don't have a competent person on staff to train them to properly fill orders. I don't get upset with the kids, but I doubt being a manager pays enough to get a competent person to stay there for any length of time anyway. It's fast food. I generally feel pretty lucky if they just don't spit on my hamburger before they bring it.

I don't know what the solution really is, because nobody wants to pay 12 bucks for a crappy fast food burger either, and if you're paying 3-4 managers $50k+ a year to run your hamburger stand, you probably need that in order to make the place work financially. I do not envy restaurant or food service owners. It's a tough way to make a living. As many hours as some of those places are open, I'm not sure 3-4 managers could cover all the shifts.

It's probably really rare that you find a HS kid slinging hash part time to earn gas & date money that is really interested in producing a quality product and good customer service. Having pride in what you do to earn your check is about as dead as dinosaurs. Hell, where I've been for 37 years we've got 30 somethings running multiple million $ stores that don't care about customer service either, and they're making $70-$100k a year.

The work force's current mentality has passed me by. I'm retiring in January, and I'm not sure I can make it until then.

edit to add - and right now, labor has the upper hand. You can't fire anyone unless they do something egregious, and even then you'll probably think twice about it.

Last edited:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most fast food places are primarily staffed with High School kids, or kids just out of school. Not only are the youth not leaving home when they graduate. They also have no interest in getting a first job. McDonald's, or Wendy's is way below their self absorbed self worth. These "Gen Z" kids are content staying home and playing video games until someone can offer them a management role.
Most of the fast food places I visit in the Metro are staffed by Hispanics that don’t have a good command of the English language.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the fast food places I visit in the Metro are staffed by Hispanics that don’t have a good command of the English language.

Also true.

Go to one of the locally owned fast food places like Sid's, J&W Grill, Little Mike's etc, etc, etc. There's lots of 'em.

If the owner works there, the orders are right, every single time. The problem isn't "fast food" per se, it's management or ownership taking the time and effort to train their people on quality customer service. Those are the places I try to spend my money. It's not always possible, but my expectations are never very high at fast food chains.

Then the other side of that is, why do you want to spend the time to train a kid when he's going to leave the job in 90 days anyway.

I don't have the answers. Just a lot of questions.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I definitely think fast food kiosks will be a booming biz for a while. The last McDonalds I was in didn't have anyone taking orders inside, only kiosks. Parents said El Reno, I think, was that way. They just left instead. At least the coding coal miners will have a job maintaining the kiosks.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to worry, Biden is bringing in reinforcements from Del Rio Texas as we speak for fast food jobs. Going to a fast food place shouldn't be a challenge to the consumer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom