Went to my first long range shooting comp today…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I did absolutely terrible. Something is wrong with my rifle and I can’t pinpoint what but other than that had a fun time helping spot and keep score.

Competition was 10 round sets. You had 10 rounds to reach out to 1000 yards.

Start at 300, once you have a hit you move on to the next. Targets were in 100 yard increments. Small targets worth double.

It’s wild what the wind can do down the canyon. I was spotting for a few guys and looking at the ribbon fluttering in the wind. 500 yards was acting like there was a straight heavy crosswind and then 800 looked like there was a small breeze.

I have some work to do though on my rifle trying to figure out where I messed up. I think I may have installed the Magpul stock and never checked zero again. Maybe somethings loose.. Maybe I screwed up my loads… I’m just not sure. Very irritating and I feel dumb.

I also felt weird being the only .308Winchester shooter that I know of there. I’m pretty sure everyone was using some sort of Creedmor.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I laugh because I have shot on pipelines where you have hills and valleys and could not hit anything at 700+ yards.
Of course we were shooting at stacked up flagstone about gallon milk jug in diameter.
400 yards was super easy.

When we went to restack rocks some we had wind from the left and from the right at 10-15 mph and sometimes at our backs and going up the hill the wind hit us in the face.

30-06 vs .308 that day for us and it was an even race.

At least you got to get out and play.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Before anyone says “oh yeah just blame the rifle not the shooter”

No it really is my rifle. I had this thing tack driving last year but I think I installed the Magpul stock and never rezeroed so I may have messed up there or something has worked itself loose.. I dunno. All I know is I’m embarrassed and pissed lol.

I only hit the 300 yard target and COULD NOT get a hit on the 400 yard target. I called it quits after that. Figured I will pick a calm day and come back and sight it back in

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to make sure I understand the the rules here. Did you have 10 shots to hit each of the distances or was it a total of 10 shots to get as far as you could at the end of 10. Doubt I could even do it with 10 shots each. Definitely no chance with 10 total. How many shooters accomplished it?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
So I'm wanting to make sure I understand the the rules here. Did you have 10 shots to hit each of the distances or was it a total of 10 shots to get as far as you could at the end of 10. Doubt I could even do it with 10 shots each. Definitely no chance with 10 total. How many shooters accomplished it?

8C8F01CB-5A74-4C4B-BCED-3DF4328F7C2F.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I would like to know the target sizes and where was this at?

I think the large targets were 12” diamonds and the small targets were 8” diamonds.

And this was at Goodwell, OK.

Edit: 1000 yard target was also a 12” diamond.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom