West Nile Virus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard of it messing with your bones; my dad contracted it several years ago, and he's never said anything about it. Made him weak and sick, but he over came it OK - and he was in his early 70s when he caught it.

Talking with a friend from Inola, and neither of us has even seen any mosquitos. They must be a bit more prevalent in the cities where more people are watering I guess.

Johnjosiah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have there been mosquitos for eons...yes.

Have there been mosquito related illness for eons...yes. Malaria used to be prevalent as far North as the Dakotas.

Did "west nile" just suddenly become a human illness...no. There have been similar viruses in the US forever like St. Louis encephalitis. There is also Eastern Equine Encephalitis that can affect humans but is a different virus.
West Nile has been prevalent in other parts of the world (the Nile part could be a hint) forever. It may have recently come to the US but also may have been present and we just never did the right test to definitively ID it or thought it was something else.

You did fine before you knew about West Nile and it was there lurking. So why worry now that you know it present. We have had outbreaks several times the last 5-10 years. This year the media got ahold of it again. I worry more about the flu. Flu kills 10s of thousands of people world wide each year.

Also, stop watching the news - ignorance is bliss. Mostly just drama these days with little objective news.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with those that are saying the news is blowing this out of proportion. They cause a panic to get people to watch, yet in their own interviews with the state health dept.s of Tx. and Ok., the doctors are emphasizing that not only the cases are RARE for the population, but the few deaths they've had were all elderly or infirm. Being that your age listed is 36, I assume you're in pretty good health. Just use the OFF spray and all that and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
West Nile has a more significant effect in those age 50 and older. In those 70 and older, the effect can be marked and more likely to be permanent. A friend of mine who is over 70, but otherwise healthy, recently was diagnosed with West Nile. It has messed with his long and short term memory, as well has his general health to a big extent. The early symptoms in his case were much like those of a stroke.

West Nile is nothing to be messed with, especially if you are in the significant risk ages or otherwise have compromised health. Put on that bug repellent!

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
About 1958 I weas on vacation to Fla. We tried to stop for the night in a town in the panhandle and we were told to go to another town. That town had been quarientined because of a yellow feaver epidemic. This is not that bad. Just spray yourself with bug spray preferably Backwoods Off and go on your way. if wearing shorts don't forget to spray up in the shorts. Also do not forget to spray your head. Just don't inhale when spraying the head.Have fun and see if you can shoot misquitoes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom