what about bringing a gun to a fistfight??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
so tell me how you would handle the situation:

as a responsible adult and citizen you try to avoid trouble and as a ccw holder you are even more leary of physical altercations but what should you do when you are armed and a confrontation is obviously going to get physical and the other person (to your knowledge is unarmed)?
Let's say you are out on a date and some fool becomes very inappropriate with your girl and while you try to avoid the situation you will not and should not put up with it but when you politely ask the person to stop they become aggressive...we all know these guys are out there, they think they are a UFC champ. Anyway I cant imagine scuffling while armed and the danger and risk that poses, but I don't see that asking your girl to hold your gun is the best or legal thing to do. That could easily be called brandishing and if the force used is not deadly then skinnin your smoke wagon would be illegal as well.
So what is the best way to handle the situation.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never got in a fight when I was backing down. And I mean truly backing down, not just standing there being the non-aggressor while the other guy yells and screams and gets more and more amped up. I mean apologizing and stepping away. I won't say it can't happen, but it would be extraordinarily rare. If you have time to contemplate giving your gun to your girl, then you could have just walked away. That's part of the responsibility and maturity you have to show if you want to be a CCW'er.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just not worth it.

I don't want anything to do with a confrontation that escalates beyond just words. There is nothing to be gained, and so much that is put at risk.

Just leave and be done with it.

I'd rather be upset for a day, then sorry for a lifetime.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
maybe date nights in Pryor are different than say Bricktown! JK!
While I agree that most confrontations can be resolved and trust me I am not and would not be the aggressor, I have seen plenty of fights that one person was backing down but the other didn't let up. And that is where the question lies. How do you handle it if it gets to that point?

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never got in a fight when I was backing down. And I mean truly backing down, not just standing there being the non-aggressor while the other guy yells and screams and gets more and more amped up. I mean apologizing and stepping away. I won't say it can't happen, but it would be extraordinarily rare. If you have time to contemplate giving your gun to your girl, then you could have just walked away. That's part of the responsibility and maturity you have to show if you want to be a CCW'er.

I agree with DJJ here. Move away, keep moving away. The aggressor will eventually cross the line or lose interest. It is difficult but we, as CC'ers have to act differently than other people.

BC

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of fights that one person was backing down but the other didn't let up.

I thought Pryor was a small town, but Wikipedia says something like 8600 people. I was initially going to say "sounds like you're from a small town".

Basically, my thing is this: I'll keep trying to deescalate until they start to throw the first swing. After that, it's on, but it will remain hand-to-hand unless otherwise needed. I had a pretty good track record in high school. I was the skinny nerd who took a lot of pickin' on, but I never had a fight (out of my four) with a jock that went past two swings from me, and three only needed one. I'd like to think that now that I am a bit bigger and have been working out that I would fare about the same or better.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defense_(theory)

As a former boxer and life long martial arts practioner and CCW permit holder I have never seen the need to practice what I have spent many hours learning on anybody outside of the gym,or dojo,or in competition. Ever. I dont care how many fights youve seen,heard of,or even been in on the street-most all are illegal. The bigger man walks on and scoffs at the moron who is just trying to 'get your goat'. Having 17" arms and a 17" neck doesnt hurt either.

You are 'called out'- just walk away. You are grabbed,or maybe even punched once,then just try to get away a little faster. If you do react then there is no such thing as self defense unless you feel that your life is being threatened with more force than what you have available(meaning the skills you may possess),or with a weapon,or you did everything possible to either end the situation by talking it down or walking away,or were attacked and backed into a corner and had no choice but to defend your self. Even then,if you were to fight back you may think that you are defending your self but you may now be in the eyes of the law a participant and now just as guilty as the aggressor.

And. Say you do get punched,and you are stupid enough to punch back,and in some freakish incident you either kill the guy in one punch or he hits his head on the sidewalk after you punch him and he dies. That was not self defense. You just killed someone. That may have been an accident,but you were fighting. Which is an illegal activity. You might now be defending yourself from a manslaughter charge. You used more force to defend your self than what was presented to you. You negated a self defense defense unless you can prove that you were retreating or had no other choice but to react. You still may go to jail,be getting a lawyer,missing work,and have to defend your self in court. A hell of a lot of trouble when you could have just walked away.

No one wants to be humiliated in front of their girl, or anybody. Or punched,***** slapped,whatever. But reacting to an escalating situation is just your pride talking. Ego. Legally its like with all of the responsibility of carrying a firearm-you have a great responsibility in this world to be the better thinker and go on down the road.

Ya ya,tough guys are gonna scoff at this. O well. You cant just punch anyone any where at any time for anything- unless you were threatened and retreated and were then backed into a corner with no other choice but to defend yourself. Sure it happens all the time,and youve seen people doing it all your life. Or youve done it and gotten away with it,or it was over in a few punches,etcetc. School yard fights,fights with a relative,with a neighbor,a best buddy,etcetc. Its the percieved usual way of handling things in this world. But, just because its always been done doesnt make it legal though.

Prisons are filled with people who reacted to what they thought was a self defense situation and then it turned out all wrong for them later when someone who started trouble with them got hurt worse than they did.

Use your brain and not your brawn and be the bigger man and just walk away. Youre not being a coward. Youre being a human being who is smart enough to know when to walk away. Your girlfriend getting flirted with was not a physical threat to your safety. Just your pride.

Heres an idea for these wannabe badboys. Take it to the gym. Invite the guy to the gym to put the gloves on and do it in a controlled manner- after everyone has calmed down. Most people will just shut up and go away. Unless you just challenged a boxer or a fighter. Well,then be prepared for a beating,with gloves on it wont hurt as bad though,and you may learn a few moves in the process. And everyone is alive and no one went to jail.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defense_(theory)

As a former boxer and life long martial arts practioner and CCW permit holder I have never seen the need to practice what I have spent many hours learning on anybody outside of the gym. Ever. I dont care how many fights youve seen,heard of,or even been in-most all are illegal. The bigger man walks on and scoffs at the moron who is just trying to 'get your goat'. Having 17" arms and a 17" neck doesnt hurt either.

You are 'called out'- just walk away. You are grabbed,or maybe even punched once,then just try to get away a little faster. If you do react then there is no such thing as self defense unless you feel that your life is being threatened with more force than what you have available(meaning the skills you may possess),or with a weapon,or you did everything possible to either end the situation by talking it down or walking away,or were attacked and backed into a corner and had no choice but to defend your self. Even then,if you were to fight back you may think that you are defending your self but you may now be in the eyes of the law a participant and now just as guilty as the aggressor.

And. Say you do get punched,and you are stupid enough to punch back,and in some freakish incident you either kill the guy in one punch or he hits his head on the sidewalk after you punch him and he dies. That was not self defense. You just killed someone. That may have been an accident,but you were fighting. Which is an illegal activity. You might now be defending yourself from a manslaughter charge. You used more force to defend your self than what was presented to you. You negated a self defense defense unless you can prove that you were retreating or had no other choice but to react. You still may go to jail,be getting a lawyer,missing work,and have to defend your self in court. A hell of a lot of trouble when you could have just walked away.

No one wants to be humiliated in front of their girl, or anybody. Or punched,***** slapped,whatever. But reacting to an escalating situation is just your pride talking. Ego. Legally its like with all of the responsibility of carrying a firearm-you have a great responsibility in this world to be the better thinker and go on down the road.

Ya ya,tough guys are gonna scoff at this. O well. You cant just punch anyone any where at any time for anything- unless you were threatened and retreated and were then backed into a corner with no other choice but to defend yourself. Sure it happens all the time,and youve seen people doing it all your life. Or youve done it and gotten away with it,or it was over in a few punches,etcetc. School yard fights,fights with a relative,with a neighbor,a best buddy,etcetc. Its the percieved usual way of handling things in this world. But, just because its always been done doesnt make it legal though.

Prisons are filled with people who reacted to what they thought was a self defense situation and then it turned out all wrong for them later when someone who started trouble with them got hurt worse than they did.

Use your brain and not your brawn and be the bigger man and just walk away. Youre not being a coward. Youre being a human being who is smart enough to know when to walk away. Your girlfriend getting flirted with was not a physical threat to your safety. Just your pride.

Heres an idea for these wannabe badboys. Take it to the gym. Invite the guy to the gym to put the gloves on and do it in a controlled manner- after everyone has calmed down. Most people will just shut up and go away. Unless you just challenged a boxer or a fighter. Well,then be prepared for a beating,with gloves on it wont hurt as bad though,and you may learn a few moves in the process. And everyone is alive and no one went to jail.

Not sure whether that is your text or something quoted from the net. However, it is wrong. Punching in defense of your own safety does not rid you of the self defense doctrine. Not saying you wont end up in court, depends on DA. Naturally a fact intensive query is necessary at that point. Agreed that this is best avoided if possible.

Maybe I am just too old and have been married too long to see the "Look bad in front of your girlfrriend" thing bother me. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom