What am I doing wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using Laupa brass and 123g SMK bullets. I think I got it figured out. I came home, resized a piece of brass, it fit in the case gauge and chamber perfectly. I chamfered the inside and outside of the brass. Then I reinstalled my seating die, this time being sure to back it out a 1/2 turn. I loaded a four pieces of brass with bullets and they worked perfectly! I guess when I was seating the bullet, I didn't back out the seating die and it was pushing down the shoulder just enough to cause problems when I was chambering a round. I still ordered the Hornday headspace gauges and will wait until they come in to load any live rounds. I'm just happy that the four rounds chambered properly and hopefully I won't have too many future problems.

Again...thanks for everyone's help!

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm using Laupa brass and 123g SMK bullets. I think I got it figured out. I came home, resized a piece of brass, it fit in the case gauge and chamber perfectly. I chamfered the inside and outside of the brass. Then I reinstalled my seating die, this time being sure to back it out a 1/2 turn. I loaded a four pieces of brass with bullets and they worked perfectly! I guess when I was seating the bullet, I didn't back out the seating die and it was pushing down the shoulder just enough to cause problems when I was chambering a round. I still ordered the Hornday headspace gauges and will wait until they come in to load any live rounds. I'm just happy that the four rounds chambered properly and hopefully I won't have too many future problems.

Again...thanks for everyone's help!

Thanks for letting us know what it was. When you're seating, the die doesn't support the full length of the case or shoulder and so you can get a bulge at the shoulder like that especially if neck tension is high. You might have to inside ream a little if that Lapua brass is so thick that it's causing issues.

Glad we could help! Now get out and blast some of those rounds off. :)

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the same problem when I fisrt started loading. I don't know if you have ever used a "kinetic" bullet puller(hammer type), but if you have you know it doesnt take much to have a bullet crimped good, no need to crush the case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom