What are these dies-tool bits/heads? Now just a tool thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one of these things in a toolbox I inherited from my stepdad and never could figure out what it was either. He had a lot of strange tools and when he was alive he told me what some were. He had a Thorsen deep socket that I split yesterday and there is no warranty!

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are called drill bushings in the aerospace world. They probably have a long boring actual nomenclature but that eludes me at the moment, my apologies. Production folks use them by the truckload at work, as stated above for drilling a very precise hole in a very precise location. I am talking holes where passing qc involves checking off on the finish quality of the bore on the hole.
Edit to add, if you could take the temper out of them and find a hammer forge I bet those would make a very interesting knife Damascus style.

Last edited:

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As stated above they are drill bushings, they fit pre-drilled jigs and can be used to drill different size holes using the same jig. just change out the different sizes

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sklfco wins the prize! Looks like someone is making some money off the shutdown of the 747 program. Not that anyone would take company property on purpose! Bwahaha. The threaded pieces fit in a depth stop to make accurate countersinks if they have a pilot like the long skinny one or screw into a "dog leg" for deburring.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The guy worked for Northrop I think.

More stuff

Please consider this an ongoing tools question thread.
icon_smile_big.gif

Any of this stuff still useable? A few of the head things are unused with the sticker tag.

What are Cratex heads used for? I can see deburring, smoothing and polishing
smiley_abused.gif
But on what?

Latest posts

Top Bottom