What are these dies-tool bits/heads? Now just a tool thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guy must have had some specific wrench needs.

He cut these to fit in somewhere specific.

I have a 15/16” craftsman that looks more like a pretzel, only real use is holding lower radiator bolts on late 90’s kenworth w900’s..........
You are correct about specific needs, generally the chap that made the modifications is the only one who knows why and what it’s for.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20220501_185141-2369009.jpg
The myth is true.

All of this and not a single 10mm.
smiley_freak.gif

They are all Craftsman it looks like.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guy must have had some specific wrench needs.

He cut these to fit in somewhere specific.

When I was on the farm/ranch, we had a John Deere tractor that needed starter repair. Nothing we had in the way of tools was capable of getting one bolt loosened way in the back. When I was in town and talking to a mechanic at the John Deere dealer, he loaned me a special tool, apparently made by JD that fit perfectly. While I had it out at the shop taking off our starter, I used it as a guide to "build" my own for future use. Good thing I did, because that starter had to come off more than once. The wrench had two bends in it with neither of them being quite 90 degrees.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the hell are these?

20220501_202155-2369211.jpg
Those are clecos, spring loaded temporary fasteners. Primarily used for holding assemblies together prior to final assembly.
One needs another special tool to use them, either manual, pneumatic or even now getting some battery powered units. Those are the manual spring loaded type there.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are called drill bushings in the aerospace world. They probably have a long boring actual nomenclature but that eludes me at the moment, my apologies. Production folks use them by the truckload at work, as stated above for drilling a very precise hole in a very precise location. I am talking holes where passing qc involves checking off on the finish quality of the bore on the hole.
Edit to add, if you could take the temper out of them and find a hammer forge I bet those would make a very interesting knife Damascus style.
Yep what he said hardened replaceable drill bushings

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those are clecos, spring loaded temporary fasteners. Primarily used for holding assemblies together prior to final assembly.
One needs another special tool to use them, either manual, pneumatic or even now getting some battery powered units. Those are the manual spring loaded type there.

Cool thanks. I had never heard of those things. I wonder why this guy had some in his home tool chest.

Cleko.jpg

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep again what he said

Latest posts

Top Bottom